Monday, June 8, 2009

Offense? What offense?

Pathetic. Hard to believe that we took two of the three games this weekend -- thankfully the pitching is still pretty good. With the exception of Carlos Marmol, who is beginning his annual pre-summer meltdown. Fortunately for us, he typically rebounds with a great second half...so we'll wait. Guzman is getting better each time out, and may be the guy out of the pen in whom I have the most confidence. His outing yesterday makes me think that he could close.

Few managers consistently mismanage their bench as does Lou. He'll use everyone available in the 10th inning (practically) and then have nothing left when he needs it. Almost ran out of pitchers. Did run out of hitters and position players. What if we'd gone 18 like they did in Arizona? Thank God we were up against Dusty -- no way to lose a battle of wits with him.

I am impressed with Andres Blanco. Teach him to hit, and he could be a solid 2b. Oh wait, that requires Gerald Perry to actually do something. Never mind. Plus he adds another name to the lineup that ends with the "o" sound.

I'd rather see Doc Ravage at third than Mike Fontenot. Period. Too bad Doc hits righty. Lou wants to be more left handed. Sorry Doc. You coulda been a contenda.

I've been hammering DLee for a few months now, so it's only fair to say this -- his defense yesterday may have saved the game. He made several terrific plays -- most of which went unnoticed; all of which mattered.

Len and Bob missed Theriot's "pause" in the baseline to distract Gonzalez from that ground ball in the 12th -- too bad we couldn't get the run home. It was wholly intentional...and good thinking.

Randy Wells may have a long and productive baseball career and never win a game. It could happen.

Hope you all have a great week.

More later. Or not.

JS

3 comments:

69 fan said...

Actually I did switch hit at camp this year, maybe 3 lefty at bats. I had the same thoughts over the weekend. I know I could play defense better, but would likely hit less than .050 against ML pitching. I think I'll stay with my day job, thanks.

Basically same thoughts all around, but I was shocked by Theriot's good base running, I guess a broken clock is right twice a day.

Doc Raker said...

What is all this TheRiot bashing?

I think TheRiot is a pretty good scrappy player. I am not surpised he would make a good baserunning play. He is a good basestealer with not balazing speed because he picks good pitches to run on.

Don't tell me derfwad has some stat that convinced you otherwise? Say it ain't so.

69 fan said...

No, stats can be found to make any point you want. I've just seen a lot of bonehead coming fro The Riot lately.