Sunday, April 26, 2009

What is up with this team?

Despite today's "salvaging" -- I am awfully disappointed about this team. Their overall construction is poor -- they are not as good as last year's team. The whole foundation on the team seems to me to be poorly thought out. As if "get me some lefties" was the only thing we had for an offseason battle cry; and everything else be damned.

I agree with Mike -- the chemistry of this team, at this point, is poor.

So far:

I don't think Fontenot can be an everyday major league baseball player.

I don't think Aaron Miles is any good at all.

Milkit Badly was a waste of money.

This offseason should have been ridiculously simple. 1.) Sign Adam Dunn and stick him in right field and bat him fourth. Every day. 2.) Win the division.

Instead we made a number of questionable moves -- Bradley, DeRosa, Wood, Vizcaino, Miles...

Oh, yeah...we could have signed Derek Lowe, too, when the Padres wouldn't take the farm for Jake Peavy.

I'm confused. Does whoever really owns this team WANT it to win?

Sherm

4 comments:

Doc Raker said...

I agree and I am in a bit of shock that Hendry would make so many poor moves. I think he has made some great moves in the past, signing DeRosa, Lilly, Soriano. He keeps quality guys when they need to be resigned, Dempster, Big Z, Dlee, Aram. Reed Johnson was a great pick up last year. Bringing up TheRiot, Geo and Fontenot I think were great moves. I can even see letting Wood go since he wanted multi year at $10M annual , I just don't think he would hold up for multi years but he sure is dominant when on.

But HasBRO , AAron Miles and trading DeRosa? Just don't see it making us better.

69 fan said...

You do have to take a few lessons away from the last week.
1 The cardinals ,as they always seem to do, make shinola out of shit.
2 Hitting Albert feels good. We should do it once a game just for fun.
3 Talent laden teams can struggle against what should be inferior competition. The Cubs WILL win this division, but due to cubbie occurrences, it will not be as easy as it should be.
4 Sherm knows literature, but is not so quick to warm to the idea of statistical sample size. We are barely a 10th of the way thru the season, hopefully we are sucking ass now so as not to do so later.
5 Smitty has not updated his blog despite his claim otherwise. Coffee??? Really??
6 Milkit is not doing much to prove he can remain healthy. Maybe we should rest him until September or so, and see if he can go a couple of months without pulling anything that doesn't need pulled.

Doc Raker said...

Sherm
Have you abandoned shermrants for the acedemia of VFTB? How can I take a blog seriously when I am asked to stop refrencing banana's?

The Bean Blog said...

My blog for the Cubs has been neglected.

Except my business has taken off which will at some point provide me lots of free time and many camps.

Our products are now part of the Stunt mans Union and on the set of the USA Network Monk.

I am negotiating a childrens book deal on my logo. Take that Sherm
A major Hollywood producer is loving it.

I'm in LA the week of May 11th to release the Bean to the Surfers.

Time to update I had no idea it was that long.