Thursday, July 2, 2009

I figured it out

This is a non baseball post...but you may want to read it anyway. Or forward it to Rush Limbaugh. Or Sean Hannity. Because, well, it's genius, and it solves all of our problems. Ready?

I read an article the other day in a money magazine that says that the Federal Gov't is watching what's happening in California like a sideshow. It said what a bad idea that is due to the tremendous amount of manufacturing still done in this state, the tech industries here...blah blah blah. You get the idea. That's when it hit me.

We have this deficit, right? So here's what we do. Sell Northern California to the Chinese. It solves multiple problems. It brings the Chinese manufacturing closer and saves us billions of dollars on ocean freight and duties, thus sparking the economy. It gives jobs to the heavily unemployed population of the state and the illegal population. It balances the budget, especially California's. Imagine the low cost manufacturing right here on this continent.

Negatives? None. The people of Northern California are communists already...so it's a perfect fit. Plus the food is good.

Looking for precedent? Napolean sold Louisiana to pay off debts, didn't he? The Russians sold us Alaska -- same reason. People sell land to pay debt all the time. Governments do, too. Look it up.

So, there you have it. The answer to all our economic problems.

Happy Independence Day to all.

God Bless what's left of America.

Sherm

10 comments:

Unknown said...

And to all a Good Night!

Smiffs

69 fan said...

Que'

cap'n obvious said...

It'd be fine with me. My commie mother-in-law lives up there. Maybe throw in Oregon and Washington state for future considerations...and give Gitmo back to the Cubans. They haven't been a credible threat for decades. Maybe derf Dave could broker the deal.

Joe Aiello said...

I wanted to check with you guys to see if you've come to love and endear me a little more than in the beginning...maybe. =) I've enjoyed having you guys contribute and actually have been amused at all the Dave stat jokes.

Connie V. Allgetalong said...

I think that in the end, we are all on the same side. Talking Cubs now, not Communist NorCal. Or Dave. But other than that, it's all good.

Just kidding about Dave. Or am I?

69 fan said...

Note to Joe
Yeah, you're all right. Kind of strange that when I come into the office, I turn on the computer and go to VFTB first. It used to be shermrants, but they are becoming rarer occurrences. Only later do I go to Cubs.com to see what Carrie has come up with.
Note to all
I was bored last week and spent some time in Dave's mission home page. He's a wacko alright, but looks like his heart is in the right place. He appears to be very open minded, but a little too religiously influenced for his own good. I would never have thought him as pro personal freedom by the way he nit picks with stats, but he appears to have a good side (but I still think he's a wacko).

cap'n obvious said...

Dave's politics aren't any of my business, as he doesn't push them on the View. He's doing better on the stat stuff, as well. About once a week, I can still count on him to be confrontational to someone, but it keeps the comments interesting.

Joe Aiello said...

For what it's worth, I subscribe to Shermrants as well in my reader

shermrants said...

for what it's worth...I used to be a lot more available to blog (before you came along -- which is a coincidence and has nothing to do with my fairly long droughts.)

Apparently, I was funnier then, too.

Doc Raker said...

Outstanding idea, I love it. So should all the comrades that live in NoCal, they all want communism anyway- go at it. Sherm is a genius.

Joe-
Alls well. It is good to talk Cubs baseball with the faithful. Dave seems a little better since Lizzie threw him under the bus. I just think he is a little to literal with the stats and peoples comments which leads me to believe common sense isn't his forte. Makes for some fun for sure.

Did you guys see Cleveland is shopping left handed hitter Victor Martinez? And Cliff Lee also.

Joe-
Is Lizzie hot?