Monday, November 10, 2008

Adam Dunn? Not my choice

Rumors are swirling that Adam Dunn will end up in right field for the Cubs. That wouldn't suit my taste at all -- sure the 40 homers are nice, but the 150 strike outs and below average defense don't help us. I'd rather have a contact hitter that can hit 20 hr and play great defense. (Wasn't that supposed to be Kosuke?) If the plan is to overpay for an outfielder, why does it HAVE to be a lefty? Isn't that lefty/righty thing overrated anyway?

Spend the money elsewhere (leadoff? bullpen? Keeping Dempster and Wood?) and let Hoffpauir have a shot at right. His defense can't be worse than Dunn. Anyone want to see Griffey out there? Too old?

How about Fontenot full time at second (LH bat) and let DeRosa play right all year?

If we get Peavy -- and I'm hopeful we do -- we'll need a solid defense. You got Zambrano, Peavy, Harden, Lilly and either Dempster, Marquis, Hill, Guzman, Marshall, whoever...and you have one of the best staffs in MLB. Yankees want Sabathia and Derek Lowe -- which could give them a good staff, too.

What we need most offensively? A full production season from Soriano. 40 homers, 40 doubles and 40 steals.

I'd still work a deal for Teixiera if I could, but I am hearing it'll take ten years and $200M...and that's just too much to tie up. I hear that he could end up as a National.

Monday's are not the same this time of year. Football box scores don't do it for me the way baseball box scores do.

I am officially opting out of baseball camp this year. I might come down for big game weekend again, though, if some of my friends are playing. Unless the Monk marathon is the same weekend.

Have a great week.

best to cb

Sherm

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

No on proposition Dunn. Absolutely no. Spend the money on Peavy. The big contract for Teixiera isn't horrible, if you can get rid of DPLee's overpaid ground ball hitting ass. If the Cubs get Peavy, they might have the best 1-2-3 I can remember ANYONE ever having. Very tough in a short series. A "make sense: for both teams deal would be Peavy and Khalil Green for Pie, Cedeno, Veal and Marshall plus or minus prospects on both ends. That way Theriot could move to 2B (where he belongs) most days, and DeRosa plays right field...Derosa is the answer of a 20 HR, decent fielding right fielder who makes contact. Dunn is Soriano minus the footspeed, arm, and hop.

69 fan said...

A double no on Donkeydick. I like seeing him in the outfield for the opposition, his defence is worth a game per season series. It's that bad. Strikeouts are not the rally killers Double plays are, but 150-175 a year gets old.

I like mojos configuration of a possible trade, though this does not help with the stated intention of getting more lefties.

I'm not that high on Teixiera, goods player, but very expensive, and we really do have the best defensive first baseman going, and not bad at bat, just led the universe in DPs. Remember, you can't hit into a DP unless there are men on base, and thus we come to my bonehead solution, Bat D Lee first. He's mostly been a doubles hitter, has acceptable speed and excellent work ethic. Even when he sucks, he's not swinging at pitches in the 1st base warm up circle like some one we know does.
move Alf to 3, Theriot at 2. and leave the rest of the lineup that won the division alone. Fuko 5-9 depending on who's pitching and if he clears his funk.

There I solved everything, give me a prize.... maybe a golden helmet.... or a shaving basin.

Anonymous said...

Let's bat tallest to shortest! That way DLee goes first and Fontenot ninth.

Anonymous said...

I will know by Friday if I can make camp. This would be my last year...unless the DeCarlo's go...or
the Cubs win the World Series.

Wonder what the numbers are for the camp?

Where is Fukudome during all this?!

Anonymous said...

Hai. I coming to camp. I hope camp help me learn better habits of American basebaru player. Maybe then I can rake like Mike.

Respectfurry,

Anonymous said...

Is that what you think all Japanese people talk like!!!!

Boy is that racist.

There is no way my honorable countryman can rake like mike just by watching him at a "camp" for overpaid, overgrown adolescent minded old guys. He can only accomplish that by slicing Mike Raker with his pocket Ginsu knife and taking pictures with his ever present Nikon camera.

clean up your act.

Anonymous said...

I resent the implication. My great grandmother was part Japanese. I will never forget Nana Tempura Maguro. Or Grandpa Wasabi.

Anonymous said...

I can't believe anyone would pay Adam Dunn big money. The Reds were so happy to get rid of him.
Give Hoffpauir a chance @ 1b, trade Cedeno, Hill, Dlee and Blanco's Tatto man for Peavy and the Harry Carey statue for Holliday.