Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Burnitz?

Comparing Adam Dunn to Jeromy Burnitz? I don't see it. Dunn is a considerably better hitter than JB ever was. Prove it, you say?

Dunn: 6 straight years with 40 or more homers. 5 of those 6 with 100+ rbis.

Burnitz: never hit more than 38, which he did once. 37 once, too, but that was in Coors field so...
JB did have 4 seasons with 100 rbis

Lifetime averages: Dunn .247 and JB .253 -- close comp that one

Walks -- Dunn -- all 8 years over 100 per year. Burnitz? Never that many.

K's -- Comparable. Dunn = 100+ per year. JB = 100+ per year ten times.

OBP: Dunn .381 Burnitz .345

Feilding Dunn .969 as an outfielder and .984 as a 1B; JB .977 OF only. Comparable.

So they have some similarities, but Dunn is a much more consistently powerful hitter.

Adam Troy Dunn (nice symmetrical name, eh?) would hit 50 as a Cub. He'd walk 100 times. And he'd whiff 150. That said, him hitting 4 with ARam 5 would change our lineup dramatically -- for the better, I'd think. You want a hitter who can elevate the ball? This guy can do that.

Food for thought. We still need a 3 hitter who won't erase baserunners for the 4 and 5 guys. So...I will say it again. Trade Lee and go get Teixiera. And Adam Dunn. That's a lineup! Damn. Why doesn't Jim Hendry call me?

There are too many good pitchers available NOT to get one of them. Who will it be? I'm also hearing that Peavy isn't a dead deal, but that there need to be other teams involved because we DON'T HAVE ENOUGH TO OFFER. That might be where Lee comes in...

Maybe they need an eye doctor. I think we have one we could add to the deal...

best to cb

sherm

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

thats what you get when you call another mans blog your own. smacked.

Anonymous said...

One step further on the subject --

Burnitz = Matt Stairs is a better comparison

js

Anonymous said...

One step further on the subject --

Burnitz = Matt Stairs is a better comparison

js

Anonymous said...

OK, to go along with the let's get Dunn sentiment- and I don't agree with the move. Why not put him in the 3 hole. Isn't that a good spot for a guy that either goes extra's, walks or K's? He eliminates the double play. Ok so Adam Dunn = Jeremy Burnitz+ a few more jacks and points on the OBP. I still don't think his lack of D and his complete package is a plus for the Cubs, unless he can play 1b.

On Bad Mojo's thoughts of moving Ryan Theriot because Fonzi doesn't do his job at the leadoff spot. That is the dumbing down of the Cubs line up that only the Los Angeles Unified School district could be proud of. Theriot is a great 2 hole hitter, improve the leadoff spot, don't move the guy that is doing his job.

And I wasn't necassarly calling shermrants my blog- I was just marketing his blog- driving hits to his blog- getting the word out to my peeps, Obama told me to do it. People pay big bucks for that kind of marketing. You are welcome you ingrates.

Anonymous said...

keep sendin' the peeps. Aight?

I'm not necessarily pimpin' for Dunn, but I am looking at the upside to him if we end up with him. Upside is the jacks and walks.

Theriot? Serviceable is the word that comes to mind for me; not "great."

I hear that we are close to re-signing Dempster (4 years, slightly over $50M) That's great -- but we still need to add ANOTHER big arm. Pick one: Peavy, Burnett, Sabathia, Lowe...doesn't matter which -- one of them added to Z, Demp, Lilly and Harden makes us NASTY to face. It makes Dempster a 17 - 6 number FIVE.

We also might end up with Bobby Abreu in right field for a year or two...that'll depend on the other deals.

I'd rather have Mark Cuban own the team from jail than some putz who'll cut the payroll...

Anonymous said...

to quote an e-mail recieved by me (and others) yesterday...

"Adam Dunn = Jeremy Burnitz.

Read more of Doc Raker's Blog on http://shermrants.blogspot.com"

looks to me like you were calling it your blog. now get your own.

and for the record...I like Theriot in the 2 hole...I even like him better than Alf leading off...what burdens me is that he is a sub-par defensive player at the second most important (behind catcher) defensive position. I think Theriot would be a great 2B for the Cubs...and Derosa is just fine in RF...IF the Cubs could get a 1B (Teixeira) that could drive in a few runs. Again, no need for Dunn...as I really don't want to see him and Alf attempt to break the NL record for combined K's by 2 players on the same team. Abreu? meh. Is he really that much better than Ibanez, of for that matter, the Hoffy dog? Doubt it. Save the money.

I'd hate to see the Cubs throw that kind of jack at Dempster with Peavy still a possibility...4 years guaranteed is WAY too much for a guy that has put together once decent season as a starter, in a contract year.

69 fan said...

Wow, busy day on the comment front.
nice to see that everyone has agreed that an email is not a blog.

I will go on record as saying Texiera will not be a CUB. Way too big a contract for what would be a small upgrade over one of our very good players. We've only been worried about D Lee's DP's for this past season, which I still contend has a lot to do with more runners on base ahead of him than in prior seasons.
Speaking of Prior, Har de Har Har Har. Maybe a minor league contract for a former over all number 2 pick. Bad attitude can sink a ship.

I'm a bit surprised by the defensive stats on Burnitz v. Dunn. Impressions are that there are light years difference. Maybe Donkey dick only plays like a palsy stricken, optometrists dream when playing the Cubs, but I suspect he's a butcher against others as well. I would not feel strongly positive about him in a Cub uni.
Theriot was, what 5th?, in the league in batting average. You hit him 2nd and don't think about trading him without a comparable bat to replace him. Fontenot might, however, be that bat.

Anonymous said...

Theriot needs to stay in the line up, either at ss or 2b. Maybe Jeremy Burnitz can play short? Dlee can not be traded without his approval, do you think the Cubs would even ask for that approval?

Dempster, 4y/52M. I hope he stays healthy. I would still trade for Peavy. Then in October we can use the 4th and 5th starter in the bullpen, we won't even need Gregg.

Blog, email, yours, mine, sherms Smitty's all this extra clicking, can't we all just get along.

Anonymous said...

Will someone market my blog?

Anonymous said...

To Smitty:

You have a blog?