Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Peavy or bust

I wouldn't go crazy giving away good young ballplayers. I keep hearing that KC wants Fontenot and Marshall for Mark Peehat and that kills me -- even if he's a .285/25/90 guy (which he's not...at least the last two years) he wouldn't be worth those two ballplayers. I think both of them are good teammates, good bench and bullpen guys, and potential starters. Marshall could be a fine number five. Someday, he may even be referred to as "crafty." (the ultimate compliment for a lefty who doesn't throw hard.) Fontenot might be a 20 hr guy -- and he hit real well after the break last year...best on the team in the second half. You know, he's not that different physically than Dustin Pedroia. Maybe if he could play everyday. And swing harder. Nah, nevermind.

Now, if Jake Peavy is the prize? That's different. But giving away two good guys for one "decent" guy? Don't do it, Jim. I don't care how much the city is clamoring for a right fielder ASAP.

We have to trade Marquis. Yes, we have to eat all or most of his salary to do it. We all know it. He knows it. Just do it. Get something for him. Minor league talent. Whatever. He's not pitching for us this year, so make the deal. SOMEBODY needs pitching out there...get something back that oh, I don't know, San Diego wants perhaps?

I hear that we are looking at a Jeremy Hermida deal. Any thoughts on that? You know we'll pay too much for him if that's true. Florida likes to trade with us. Although Dontrelle Willis hasn't exactly made the HOF yet.

How about Magglio Ordenez for right field? He could be had. Remember when we could have had him for next to nothing? And he wanted to come back to Chicago just to wiggle it in the White Sox's face? But we passed. He's put up some nice numbers in Detriot. Think he'd be worth a two year package with an option? I don't, but thought I'd toss it out there.

I agree with myself. Sign Edmonds and let him play right field. I know, I know. He's got that noodle for an arm. He'll hit 20 platooning DeRosa in right -- and that works for us. Also gets Little Man Font more 2b playing time.

I think we should go to the Pirates, overpay THEM for Nate McClouth and forget about CF for the next ten years. It'd be worth it. Mark my words.

Still waiting for Hendry to call. Rumor has it that he reads this every day on the can. Can't he afford a phone in the can? I'm here, Jim.

best to cb

sherm

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Funny, I read this on the can too everyday, maybe I can be a GM of a big league club.

Full agreement with the no Peehat deal. The guy hit 255 with 15 jacks, what the hell do we need that for when we have Hoffpauir, Fukodome, Pie ,Reed Johnson and could sign Edmonds if we wanted.

Word is Carrie Muskrat is going to cover Randy's camp, she really wants to meet the Sherm behind the rant.

69 fan said...

Agree, No deals, No free agents but our own, re-sign Edmunds and stock the kennel.

Somebody owns a McDonalds?