Monday, November 17, 2008

I don't get it

It now seems official -- Kerry Wood will not be a Cub. Hendry goes on record saying that it is because we can't afford a multi-year deal for Wood. Wood says he'd do anything to stay a Cub, including sign a one year deal. What's up with that? Why not sign him? I said it last week, and I will say it again: Gregg/Marmol is nowhere near as strong as Marmol/Wood. Period. We just got weaker at the end of games. Not a good start to the hot stove league.

Plus, everyone I talk to, and everything I read says that Jose Ceda (the guy we gave up for Kevin Gregg) is a stud. He's the guy we refused to let go to get Brian Roberts last year. He's the guy they called untouchable. I've heard him referred to as a young Lee Smith. And now he's gone? For one year of Kevin Gregg? What the???

Signed,

Not happy in San Clemente.

Dear Not happy in SC,

It's okay we are saving our money. That we can sign a free agent left handed bat. Like maybe 36 year old Raul Ibanez. Or a pitcher. Like maybe 45 year old Randy Johnson. Let's call it a "youth movement."

Signed Jim Hendry

Dear Jim,

It makes me want to take a movement of my own.

NHISC

Dear NH,

It's okay. You'll see. We don't need Jake Peavy, AJ Burnett, Derek Lowe, CC Sabathia, Mark Teixiera or any of those guys. We are good enough as we are. Look at how many games we won in 2008.

Jim

Dear Jim,

How many playoff games did we win?

Not

Dear Not,

Umm...what does that have to do with anything. We won two postseason awards. Besides we don't have an owner. And MLB will never let Mark Cuban own a team. So sit back and be happy that we don't lose a hundred games a year anymore. Hey, maybe Greg Maddux is available. He's got some good years left.

J


anyway...that kind of went awry, but you get the point. What the hell are we doing? Other teams are going to improve this offseason -- we've taken a step back. But look at the upside. Oh wait, there isn't one. Nevermind. Let's see what they do from here out.

Now we'll go overpay for a left handed bat. Note: there aren't any good LF bats available right now so don't force it. Wait it out. Get a good right handed bat, if necessary, and trade during the season. It's hard to sit here and watch other teams get better.

I hear that we are pretty much out of the Peavy sweepstakes. Didn't offer enough. Oh well. There's always free agency. Hey, this just in -- lots of pitching is available, including Kerry Wood and Ryan Dempster.

I'd make Teixiera the priority. Just saying.

Bears looked playoff ready yesterday, huh?

Hey, whatever happened in the World Series? Did they play it? Is it still raining?

Watch the Yankees get Sabathia, Lowe and Burnett. That'd be impressive.

Watch the Mets get Manny and K-Rod.

I must have gotten up on the wrong side of the bed, cuz I'm kinda pissed off about the whole Kevin Gregg deal all of a sudden. Oh well, maybe Hendry has a good deal up his sleeve. Maybe Lou has a po'boy up his sleeve. Whatever.

best to cb

js

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mark Cuban will NOT own the Cubs...

Let's see if he makes it to the big house like Martha Stewart.

"SEC charges Mark Cuban with insider trading"

The way the Cubs are positioning themselves is like Wall Street...ego and crash baby.

Anonymous said...

I still think the Cubs have a shot at Peavy...and there are a few closers JUST AS GOOD as Wood available for the same 1 year deal. Maybe the Cubs know something we don't about Wood's health. I'd still be OK with Peavy and Hoffman...no matter how old Hoffman is, nobody seems to be able to elevate that changeup...thats what the Cubs need over the summer at Wrigley...ground ball outs in the 9th. Adam Dunn is an available lefty, but I really hope someone else gets him...its possible we could be forced to watch him and Alf strikeout 300 times combined next summer. stinky.

quick...when was the last time the Bears had a quarterback that ANYONE ELSE IN THE NFL wanted?

Anonymous said...

I'm gonna say Sid Luckman

69 fan said...

So what is the difference between insider trading and regular trading? The outsiders are those who don't know enough not to trade? Just saying.

I'm still looking for a little love for my Gaudin to Ascanio to Gregg anagram, I thought it inspired .

Though we would all like the next 2 months to play out in a day or 2 , it seldom does. I will reserve judgement on Jim's moves until done, but agree Wood should stay, could happen up until the time it does not happen. Same with Peavey...until he's signed elsewhere, it's possible. If I were GM, I would likely have none of my moves in the media until done. Just messes things up.

I had a different perspective on da bears game. ...excellent effort on all phases. Shut out would have been nice, but a win is a win.

Is anyone truly happy in San Clemente??? Otherwise nice people or places can be forever smeared by association with villainous people. The Texas schoolbook depository, I'm sure, gave many years of fine service storing schoolbooks and the like, but is remembered mainly as a shooters perch. Ketchikan, Alaska has wonderful vistas and outdoor activities, but is known as home to the proposed bridge to nowhere, Wounded Knee, great plains, amber waves, and a massacre.

And San Clemente, home to a president not remembered for his great strides in foreign policy, but for childish pranks gone awry. Is there anything in that town not named"....gate"?
So, you see, dear blogger, "not happy in San Clemente" is likely more a norm than an aberration.

Anonymous said...

San Clemente is second only to Disneyland as the happiest place on earth. By the way, what's the weather like where you are. And it really doesn't matter where you are.

Fun with Acronyms will be a future blog. I promise.

Sherm-gate

Anonymous said...

Adam Dunn = Jeremy Burnitz. Why can't we give Micah Hoffpauer a chance, maybe we canhave 2 Rookies of the Year in a row.I agree with the Moneyball philosophy that the closer roll is the most overated roll on the team and that a club should not over pay for the closer. I read Wood wanted a multi year deal and I would imagine he wasn't asking on the cheap. Gregg, Marmol, Golden Domer, Guzman- they will be fine. Save the $ and sign Dempster AND trade for Peavy.

Platoon Reed Johnson and Poopadome in CF, Micah in RF, trade Dlee and Pie for Peavy and bring up another AAA stud for 1b. Big Z can play 1b when he isn't pitching, I am sure that would improve our offensive production at 1b.

Anonymous said...

I think I will start e-mailing everyone and calling shermrants MY blog every time I post a mediocre take.

Anonymous said...

Badmojo....I'll adopt you as a co writer or if you have any good pics I'll give you credit.

Anonymous said...

check my facebook page...lots of good pics there...I just don't whore myself out for web traffic like certain Orange County types....

shermrants said...

To Raker: Wood has said repeatedly that he'd take a hometown discount and a one year deal.

To Mojo: Facebook? Really? Is that where they have the cyber sex?

To Smitty: co-writer? Really? Doesn't that mean you have to write something?

To DRav: it doesn't rain in San Clemente