Thursday, November 6, 2008

What's Peavy worth?

I am hearing different things in the Jake Peavy sweepstakes. I heard that they want pitching, and that the Cubs are considering one of the following being included in the deal: Harden, Marshall or Samardzija. I think we'd be nuts to give up Harden or the Shark, and I'm not convinced that Marshall isn't going to be a very good pitcher someday. Much as I'd love Peavy in Cubbie blue, I'd prefer to get a free agent pitcher and keep our existing talent.

Dempster apparently wants a 5/$75M deal. Is he nuts? I'd rather go give Sabathia a 7/$130M deal. Of course, it isn't my money. I would offer Dempster a lucrative 3 year deal -- maybe $40M. I've heard the Mets are real hot on him, however...so we'll see what happens.

I'd go get Holliday from the Rockies if he can be had. Them I'd give some young pitching -- not Harden or Samardzija, but certainly Marshall and more for a hitter like that. Stick him in right field and forget about that position for a while.

I think the answer is a $350M payroll.

I'm still on the road and my laptop is broken, so this post is coming to you courtesy of a hobby lobby computer while I wait for my ride. More later...when I can think about whatever it is I am saying. And who knows? Maybe more Man of La Mancha references.

best to cb

js

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

CC Fathathia has just signed with the nippon denso foo fighters. Reported terms are 8 years for 200 million yen and egg roll. Nobody stateside has the heart to tell him about the exchange rate.

Anonymous said...

I'm OK giving up, say Marshall and Pie for Peavy. Harden and Samardzija should be off limits. I love Holliday...would love to see him in right, hoppy in left, and the RJ/Fuko 2 headed monster in center. Thats a solid outfield. Use Derosa to spell the corners, and you have 162 games of solid...unless someone gets hurt hopping for a pop fly.

69 fan said...

Harden is not likely to be included in any trade package, he's expensive, or will be in 1 year. Not to mention the aspects that I won't mention. Marshall and Pie, yeah, I'd do that.

Don't be at all surprised if Fuko looks much better than he did the last half. He has talent and pride, I doubt he's sitting at home counting his yen (200 million yen = $2,020,00).

If the above is done, there might not be much room for Holiday from a pieces to trade stand point. We don't want to become the Yankees, having to buy everything because there is nothing left on the farm.

Anonymous said...

Sign Podsednik.

Thats all I can say

Will there b curb feelers on the presidential limo?