Thursday, January 22, 2009

Blanco in San Diego

I'm not done with Dunn -- as a topic -- but first let's talk about Hank White.

He signs with San Diego for $750,000. That's not a big contract for a very good backup catcher. And Geo Soto's pappy. I don't know how we let him get away. I'd heard it was because he was going to be a $3mil guy...but he's not. His deal is $750,000. Ravage could've signed him for help around the house at that number.

I'm confused. We wanted a left handed hitting catcher so badly that we are willing to have a bad one?

On to Dunn. Last time on the topic. Maybe.

Raker said something that I've given a great deal of thought. Okay, not really. I mean, come on. Raker said it. But anyway, consider -- Sign Adam Dunn and put him at first base. Still get that bat into the middle of our lineup. Sure we add some K's. We lose some DP's. We add homers and walks. We lose some defense. Trade Lee west. San Diego is not a fit. The California Los Angeles West Coast Pacific Time Zone Western Hemisphere Angels of Anaheim are. They lost Teixiera and could use a couple years of DLee to fill that gap. They surely would have something to give up...bullpen help? Bench strength? A bag full of old rally monkeys. Think about it.

I would also trade Fukudome to Seattle. He could play next to his buddy, Ichiro. Trade him for a new Nintendo Play Station. They're pretty cool and have some good games and features.

I have work to do...so that's it for now. I might add to this later. It's difficult writing a baseball blog when there is such little baseball news.

js

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Will you be reporting on the Mesa Melee? Dr Raker is back in town.

That's some true baseball news.

shermrants said...

So sorry. I really wish I could, but I have pledged the blogger pledge only to blog about real baseball.

Now if Doc Raker pulls a "Smitty" -- falls down between bases -- or gets a "Murnyak Strain"...well, that's blogworthy news.

Anonymous said...

I was having trouble figuring out the whole Hank W. thing myself. Sure he is a light hitting backup catcher, whose isn't? He was a stud defensively, rarely got run on, and was a great stable pony for Soto. Bako just swings lefty. Other than that there is nothing redeeming. It's likely that Bako won't beat out Koyie Hill anyway, making him an EXTREMELY overpaid AAA catcher.

The Cubs need to be thinking of locking up Theriot, Soto, and Marmol for long term deals before the season starts and the price for them soars.

Harden is hurt again. Won't play for the Maple Leafs in the WBC. I'm OK with that. He better be ready to start the season. He might be the new Prior.

shermrants said...

If Harden is the new Prior...can we call him "After"???

Just wondering.

69 fan said...

I too thought the low price tag on Hank White was curious. He actually was a decent hitting back up last year, and did we really give Bako a contract?

I did not get the impression that R hardon was hurt, but that his allegiance was to the Cubs, maybe that's what I wanted to read anyway.

Off to Mesa Saturday, will try to catch the last game of the little melee before the real campers start. I don't think I could have hired Hank, I usually only hire ex-cons, they work like tranny hookers (hard and cheap).

shermrants said...

1. Hank's tattoos give him that hardened con look, Doc, so I think he'd be just fine in your "stable."

2. Marmol needs to drop the "L" at the end of his name to fit in with the rest of the "O" sound Cubs. Marmo. I like it. In fact, Carlo Marmo. He's now Italian.

3. Smitty has a blog? Who knew?

Anonymous said...

so it looks like the Ricketts group will be the new owners. At least they got some jack. Another blog suggested a quick sign of Orlando Hudson to play some 2B, givng the Cubs an option to deal Fontenot or Cedeno (who'd want him?) in the still alive and will never die Peavy deal. Discuss. Hudson is an upgrade, albeit coming off a broken bone a la DPLee. Interesting. I still think it more prudent to lock up AT LEAST Soto and Marmol for a few years, and maybe dance fever as well.