Monday, January 19, 2009

Cubs Convention

I did not attend the Cubs Convention. I am not a fan of paying for autographs. I don't charge for mine, in case you were wondering.

I see that we have traded Felix Pie for Garrett Olson. This, on the surface, appears to be a good trade. Olson is young, left handed, and talented. Probably hit the big leagues a little too soon for the Orioles, but who did they have to pitch?

Might we be building players to trade for Jake Peavy? Perhaps. If so, though, it is kind of peculiar to me that we just didn't enter the free agency market and get another pitcher. For this year, anyway, Lowe would have been just fine. This players that we are beginning to stockpile for the supposed Peavy trade are starting to look pretty flippin good for a AAA team...which means good Cub teams for the next decade.

It is a shame to see Pie go after all the hype, but he's never done a thing at the major league level. Maybe 600 at bats in Baltimore will help him. Or maybe he'll whiff 300 times. I don't know. I just know that if his name were pronounced like the dessert "pie" rather than pee-ay, I'd have liked him better. Pee-ay is just downright silly.

Think of the other words that could affect...if he's right about the pronunciation.

"Honey, which "tee-ay" goes better with this shirt?"

"Fee "fee-ay" fo fum..."

"Don't you "lee-ay" to me"

"The Cardinals and Steelers will "vee-ay" for the Championship"

See how ridiculous that is? I bel-ee-ya-ve words should be pronounced correctly, even names.

Think the Cards will trade Rick Ank-ee-ya-l? More I type it, more it starts to sound like a hee haw in my mind. Better stop or this could quickly get out of hand.

Olson could be that bullpen swing man we need from the left side -- allowing Marshall to fill that number five starter role.

Why doesn't anyone think that Dempster can repeat his 2008? Other than Hendry, I mean, who gave him lots of money? There is no reason to think he won't be just as good. If Harden is healthy, this is a mean staff -- with or without Jake Peavy. Once we have all the pee-ya-ces that San Diego wants for Peavy? I'd be less interested to trade with them. Hold out...and make them give in a little.

Later, all...

Have a great week. More later.

JS

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

It seems like the Orioles like centerfielders that can't hit, they took Korey Patterson off our hands also if you remember.

I read that San Diego wanted 7 players for Peavy. Things may change in SD now that the team is being sold, maybe the new owners want to keep Peavy? Or is it Pee-ya-vee.

Still 80 degrees in So cal, suppose to cool down to the 70's this week. I hope no rain for the Melee and for you campers the following week.

Anonymous said...

Buss sent me to the latin american business thing with his web address and there weren't alot of rakers there! Finally found his league and I was impressed with the 25&older group, 35&over looks like doc raker would fit right in and rightfully so since he's over 35? Just an opinion, nothing else! Few observations from this week, Sat with Allan Trammel at the cubs luncheon and asked why no Hofpaur on playoff roster? No real good answer just some mumblings about D Ward and what to do with him, seemed political and I didn't understand that in the playoffs. Gaithright is short in stature and if he's jumping cars that is some feat? Met a buddy for a beer at the cubs convention (KITTY O"SHEAS) and it is a f***ing zoo. All people are looking for are autographs and some of them didn't even recognize the cubs when they walked right by them. I walked by Gaithright in the hotel lobby as I was leaving, said Hi and he responded but the rest of the herd didn't even know who he was. Keith Moreland came to the bar and got drinks but wasn't even recognized by the masses with their balls in hand. I will tell you that there is quite a group of Cub female fans wandering around that hotel at any given time and it seems that it would be hard not to be tempted if I were a 69 or 84 cub. J Salzeider

69 fan said...

Note to Johnny Southsider... under those circumstances, you ARE an 84 Cub. Pick a random name off of the bench players and tell the barflies that's who you are. At least a couple of wannabe wing men will chime in "I remember you" and you're golden. You could easily pass for Ron Hassey, Tom Veryzer, perhaps even Jay Johnstone. Don't try Henry Cotto though. Think any casual fan has any idea who these guys are now?

I like this Pie for Olson deal. We could have been forced to just give him away. I also have in the back of my mind that we have been lining up players to send to San Diego, but that may be in flux as new ownership in SD may have other ideas. If that was the plan and it gets screwed up by a new SD owner, the only thing I would be sorry about is the loss of DeRosa. But I do like the talent we are getting back if we do end up keeping them.
On paper we have the best starting pitching in the Majors with or without Peavey. If we do get him, it likely will not cost us any of our hitters, so either way, it's all good.

What do you do at a Canadian Urinal?
Pee, Eh.

Anonymous said...

I am not surprised that Keith Moreland wasn't recognized by people with balls in hand. When I am "balls in hand" it is usually not him I am thinking about.

Anonymous said...

Southsider....

Show them your Cubs Baseball Card.

Game over!

Great intro and provides fun for any inspiring Cubs Fantasy Camper...69, 84 or for that matter 03 and 08 Cub.

Can you say "Pu ya seh!

How big were dem women der hey?

Anonymous said...

Four days to the Melee in Mesa

Anonymous said...

I tried that. I told everyone that I was Calvin Schiraldi. Didn't work. Only got laid once and that was by some blind guy.

Anonymous said...

Southsider- You don't need to lie, I saw how the chicks dig your scene. That waitress, Hilda, with the 6 grand kids and eye patch was all over you, how you keep your cool was impressive. Imagine if you showed Hilda your baseball card, she surely would have had some balls in hand.

Was Denier there? He seemd like a hound in heat all week at camp. I saw him go into Pepitones room Friday night after getting shutout all week.

I was at a batting cage this morning. Chris Gomez of the Detroit Tigers was there with another guy from AAA. These guys were raking, jeez they hit the ball hard, it was impressive.