Friday, March 7, 2008

Whatever

I had no intention whatsoever of blogging today, but after yesterday's post and the tremendous amount of discussion and lengthy commentary -- how could I not?

Let's talk about yesterday's game. Sound familiar? Good start. No hitting. Bullpen blew it late. Wow. Deja' Vu. Sounds like thousands of games over the last few years. I know. I know. It's only spring training, but note to Lou -- teach your team to win these games and that might just spill over into the season. Drives me crazy to hear players say stuff like "I didn't care about getting people out. I just wanted to hit my spots and throw strikes." Know what? If you hit your spots and throw strikes? More often than not? You'll get people out, idiot.

It's only spring training. It's only spring training. Maybe if I keep saying it over and over, I'll feel better. It's a very lackluster beginning, spring training or not, to what is supposed to be a special season. I have reserved seats at Mojo's for the playoffs, dammit! Between the 300 pound dog and the high chair, probably, but nonetheless...

Speaking of DB -- Fontenot is mini-you? Would that have been second half Fontenot who was 0 for everything after National Ice Cream Sandwich Day? (August 2. Look it up if you don't believe me)

Note: after the whole "twisted teste" incident, perhaps Pie should change the pronunciation of his name to "Pee-ow"

So far -- surprise, surprise -- there is only one vote on the whole book blog thing. I could just email my book list to Dave and bypass the litany of other readers. Can <1 still be a litany?

I was going to do a special blog with a book review a day for about the next 200 or 300 days. Something you could forward to all your literate friends. Ha. That assumes that any of you have literate friends. Ha. That assumes any of you have friends. Ha. That assumes that anyone is actually reading this. You know what they say about "assuming". It makes an "as" out of "Su Ming". She's some Chinese chick, I think. Not sure what an "as" is. But I am fairly certain it's a famous saying.

Whatever. It's Friday. I have work to do. Go Cubs.

JS

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Take a look on the brighter side. The starting pitchers and relievers who are likely to make the clubhave done well. Howry's last inning not whithstanding. The guys who have given it up have been those who are not giong to make the team any way. We have yet to see an offensive lineup like we will in the season, so I think you really can say it's just spring training.
CR

Anonymous said...

yeah, but it's not much of "rant" if I say "hey, it's spring training so it's okay to lose" and then go skip around singing "Happy Happy Joy Joy"

Optimist is the arch enemy of a ranter.

Anonymous said...

point taken
CR

Anonymous said...

of course, on the flip side, I could change the blog name to "give a little whistle" and opine on all the good things I see. Of course, it would be a short blog, and I'd need more sleep. And you forgot to vote on the book blog. The whole shebang could hang in the balance of your vote.

Anonymous said...

oops, you did vote. Sorry. You just voted wrong.

Anonymous said...

I'm confused...is it optimists or optemetrists that are the arch enemies of ranters?

Anonymous said...

optometrists are the arch enemies of mechanical pitchers.