Thursday, March 6, 2008

Spring Training

Zambrano probably needs to hit higher in the order than nine. Pitched well yesterday and goes yard.

Mets need an outfielder and Murton could be that guy. But do we trade Murton just for Murton? To let him "get on" with his career? I don't think so, unless we get something worthwhile in return. I'm okay with him as our extra right handed OF, and PH. I wouldn't give him away. Granted, that 4th OF should have some speed, but hey, we have Daryl "when's dinner?" Ward.

We seem to be showcasing Fontenot. He played SS couple of days ago, and that's NOT his best position. Maybe it's important to show that he's a slightly below average glove at multiple positions. I still like his bat. He's kind of Todd Walker all over again, but younger. There's a shortage of decent shortstops right now, so that's probably why. It's also why I hold out a little on Cedeno. He has an upside, and it's a seller's market.

Back to the fourth outfielder thing. MLBTR had an interesting article on Reggie Willits from the Angels. He'd be a perfect platoon with Pie, plus he's a true leadoff hitter. Lots of options with him and he's young. Angels also used him at 2B if I remember, so he's versatile. I don't know what we have that the Halos need, though. Bullpen help, maybe?

Closer situation. If it's my decision? Marmol closes. Howry and Wood are Mr. 7th and 8th innings, in whatever order. If all three of these guys have good years? We'll be very good. If they have great years? We could win it all. If the bullpen trifecta is effective, we only need starters to go five or six innings -- which changes things a little. It makes some of our pitchers a little less "long in the tooth" (Lieber, Dempster) when they only need to get into the sixth to get the win. I am predicting a good year for Dempster. Don't know why. Might have something to do with the magic 8 ball, ouija board, and my lucky astrological mood watch. Or not.

Wow. That was fun. And we didn't discuss books at all. God forbid. It's your loss.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Marmol should close....he has the filthiest stuff. I'd like to see the Cubs dump some old guys and pick up some young talent for a change. The problem is, who the hell'd want Dempster or Lieber. I hope they keep Gallagher and the other young arms...the low minors have slim pickins for Cub pitching. You have to love Fontenot...he's like mini-me.