Monday, August 4, 2008

I'll take it

I'll take any series that we win...even if we should sweep teams like the Pirates.

Thanks to the Phillies and Braves for their wins yesterday...that helps.

I feel bad that Zambrano didn't get yesterday's win. Brenly said that Lou put the game "on cruise control" a little too soon. Great point. I might have let him go one more inning. I also might have let Samardzija go another inning or two since he's burnt for today anyhow.

Did you love the Reed Johnson homer or what?

The Astros have given us some trouble -- need to take it to them this time. Wolf shut out the Mets yesterday...but we won't see him or Oswalt this time. Dempster, Harden, Marquis in the series. We need to get Marquis some runs...he's pitching well enough to win most games.

I go to Montreal this week. Maybe I'll take in an Expo game. Oh wait. Nevermind.

Carla Wood should be ready for the Cardinal series this weekend. Mojo will be at that series. Watch for him in the stands. He'll be the guy with the "my twins are at home" look on his face.

By all accounts, the Brewers have the easiest next month or two of scheduling -- we need to put as much distance between us and them now.

Manny is wearing number 99. In LA. Who does he think he is? Wayne Gretsky? Trust me, I know Wayne Gretsky and he's no Wayne Gretsky.

Question for the day. Is Kosuke Fukudome worth the 48 mil that we (the Cubs) are paying him? There are several light hitting outfielders that we could have had for less. Your thoughts? So far, I'd say yes...but only because the team is winning with him. If he's not going to hit more than twelve to fifteen homers, I need to see less K's and more line drives.

Second question. Mark Cuban is rumored to have offered 1.3 Billion dollars for the Cubs. Thoughts on him owning the team? I am 100% all for it. Make that 1.3 billion percent all for it.

Have a great week everyone. Let's expand this lead.

Sherm

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel better after winning the last 2. I guess thats 6 of the last 7...but man, Pittsburgh is hideous. You take McLouth off that team and they are a AA team at best. Reed J. is the man.

I'll be at Cubs-Cards AND White Sox-Redo Sox Friday. On the links at Butler National on Saturday, and back at either Comiskey (I'm still callin' it that) or Wrigley Sunday. I will be in the doghouse upon my return to LA. Even if the Mrs. says now she wants me to go, I will be in trouble when I return. Sex is overrated anyway.

Manny and Jeff Kent WILL come to blows Big Z/Barrett style very soon. Kent didn't high five him as he was coming to the plate after Manny's HR yesterday. It was subtle, but it was there.

No comment on Ozzie's act yesterday? Classic. I paraphrase, but the quote was basically, "When I tell a guy to throw at someone, it is or will be a 95 MPH fastball." Finally, a mamnager that will admit that it happens. Why is Pierzynski using clorox instead of shampoo? Did someone play a clubhouse gag on him or some such?

69 fan said...

Mea culpa for the jinx.

I saw R Johnson homer in his first Cub at bat in Las Vegas (Smitty was there too, where is he?) I could not figure out his power then and still can't but am happy to see it now and then.
Manny appears to be happy. I saw him hold up a great sign in the Bosox dugout last week that he was going to Green Bay for Favre straight up. Anyone who can laugh at himself must have some good in him. Not so much in Kent's case.

Fuko is worth it. We are leading the league in walks. Most think he's responsible for instilling the virtue of patience.
Inscrutable.

Personally I would love to see Mark Cuban as owners (well, if it can't be me). A fan with money should keep the talent in the upper echelon for the foreseeable future. Worst case would be a business type who doesn't care about baseball.

I will make no predictions about the Astroholes, I just don't like them.

Ozzie is great, the kind of manager a guy would like to play for and party with. The white sux don't deserve such honesty.
Just for giggles, put "sherm" into your spell checker.

Anonymous said...

I cannot believe that with the choice, you would even consider Comiskey again Sunday over the Cubs - Cards game. You sure you are a Cub fan?