Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Much better

Nice team effort, and Lilly truly deserved to have a game like that. He's been better than his record indicates, which is amazing when you think about his lousy start.

Nice job Gerard Perry and Lou Piniella! Just "talking" to Fukudome has changed everything. Three more hits and four rbi's -- after they "suggested" that he shorten his swing? Wow. Impressive coaching. Now go "talk" to DLee about hitting homers. "Talk" to Marquis about throwing strikes. "Talk" to -- oh, nevermind. You get the point.

Jim Edmonds hit a triple. Bet you didn't see that one coming.

Let's talk postseason for a moment. I'm going to just assume that we make it. I also think (I agree with Charlie, now that I think about it) that Marquis gets left off the postseason roster. It'd be pretty scary to have to play us, wouldn't it? Uh, gee...who's pitching for the Cubs this series? Harden, Zambrano, Dempster, Lilly and then Harden again. And then Z. Yikes.

In terms of matchups -- the Dbacks series could be awesome. With Webb, Haren, Johnson, and Davis. But I like our chances. Mets? Santana, Pelfry, Pedo, and Maine. Pretty decent rotation just starting to come around. Phillies? I'm not seeing it. They're okay, but I think they get beaten by the teams with the better pitching. Dodgers? Not gonna make it. Brewers? Spahn and Sain and pray for rain. Sabathia, Sheets and pray for sleets? You get the point.

Versus the AL? Boston? Their pitching has been better in recent years, and the lineup is a lot less scary without Manny. Rays? Good, young team. Out of the playoffs fast. White Sox? Good team. Not good enough. Twins? Scary because they scrap. Good enough at just everything they do to win. We'd do well in their park, I think. Angels? Very good team. Fast and well managed. It would come down to pitching matchups, and I like our top four better than their top four.

We need to win our division. Just keep doing what we are doing. Win, but set up the rotation for the postseason. Continue to rest certain people from time to time to keep them sharp and fresh. And for God's sake, keep "talking" to players in slumps. Who knew talking could be so effective? Quick, someone go to Iowa and talk to Felix Pie.

I hope big Z keeps his hitting streak alive, but more important -- pitches a dominant game. We need that from him...every time out for the rest of this year.

Big game from Soto tonight. I can feel it.

best to cb

Sherm

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

and here I was all ready to prop up Smitty for taking Fukodome to that Best Western in Iowa and sharing his slumpbusters...

Whatever works. I know Mark Grace used to head out to pasture every now and again, too.

69 fan said...

Patience pays off, grasshopper.

I also like our rotation, though often in the playoffs it's a 3 man one. Having a spare is a good thing, but Marquis likely not in the mix again, can you feel bad for a New Yorker?

Edmonds is on the list of those who did not see a triple coming.

D Lee with an RBI in a prime DP spot in the 3rd? Who would have thunk it.

I'm on Lou's side when it comes to the comes to putting the horse before the cart. I'll talk play offs when the magic number hits zip. Not superstition, more pragmatism. Though I do think it highly likely we will be playing in them, I lived 1969. The red sucks were meat in 2003, point...shit happens.

Are cocktail waitresses 10+ years older than you really slumpbusters?