Wednesday, August 27, 2008

What was that, Dave?

I was speaking to Dave (aka Mojo) last night when the telephone cut off. Something about my...let's see, how exactly did I put it yesterday? Oh yes "Big game from Soto tonight. I can feel it." That was it. So anyway...you were saying? Something about a passed ball in the first inning, perhaps? Probably wasn't important. 7 rbis.

Things I really, really liked about that game -- comeback and "Soto's big night" notwithstanding -- Piniella tearing into Cedeno for the shit bunt. Although Brenly said that sometimes you have to remind these guys about the fundamentals...why not mention it BEFORE the at bat? Fine defensive play by Fontenot in the sixth. Theriot keeping the tag on Morgan's foot in the seventh. And the thing I liked best about yesterday's game? Marmol looked unhittable again. And Soriano's drop. I'm sorry. That was funny. Not at the time. But now.

What I didn't like? What's wrong with Zambrano? Doc Raker, in his non-blog, claims that it is fatigue and that he should miss a few starts. I don't think he looks fatigued to me. I think that ever since Rich Harden showed up, he's had to realistically digest that (along with the great year that Dempster is having) that he's the number three pitcher on the staff right now. Don't get me wrong. I think Z is a team guy all the way. I think he loves the winning and is happy for success of the other pitchers. I am not criticizing him at all. I just think he's human. He's trying to prove (mostly to himself) that he's a number one -- and therefore he's pressing. Trying to be too fine. Worrying too much about baserunners. Picking when he should be powering. And that, my loyal reader or two, is on Piniella and Rothschild to handle. Just like they (Lou and Perry) had their "talk" with Bailodome, they need to talk to Carlos. Reassure him. Tell him to relax, lighten up and have fun out there. He's tight assing is all it is. In golf, they call it the yips. Z gots the yips. Here's something else. Wrigley faithful need to give Carlos some big time love next outing...let him feed on it. I'm right, you know, even though I'm not an eye doctor. But I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. Not really. I prefer Marriott's. But, I digress.

Fontenot - 2 for 2 off the bench. It's critical that he be given his at bats.

Thank goodness Lee walked with the bases loaded. Was I the only one who saw that double play on the horizon?

Let's sweep the Pirates tonight. I really hope that Marquis can pitch as well as he has been WITHOUT that one "fall apart inning." Be helpful to the pen if he can go seven or more tonight. Anybody see a complete game coming?

No predictions tonight. I wore it out last night with Soto, but don't want to rub it in. If I had to pick anyone to break out tonight, it would be Lee.

Smitty called and he taped the Olympic ceremonies -- opening and closing -- and has been watching them nonstop. "Can't get enough." His words. He'll update his blog soon.

Best to cb.

js

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

man, I knew this was coming. It was, in fact, 3 passed balls in the first (two were scored a wild pitches, but both were playable.)...Every time Soto got another key hit, I'd say to the wife and mother-in-law..."cue the call from Sherm in 3...2...1...then no call. Big deal, I was wrong about that, too. I still can't laugh about bunny hopping Alf clanking another pop-fly. It's going to cost us in the playoffs that he can't catch routine balls. The Cubs cannot make 3 errors and give up 15 hits (and 5 walks!) to the Pirates or teams like them anymore. That's 23 baserunners. 23. A decent team will plate more than 9 of 23 baserunners.

Now go out and try to have a better day than me.

69 fan said...

Busy morning for me , already in the middle of the 5th.

I missed the last 4 innings last night for some honey-do crap, did Soto do well? I'll watch it this afternoon.

You are probably right about Z, good loving can help fragile egos.

In the be careful what you wish for department, I'm looking forward to playing teams with better records, I do think we tend to rise to the occasion.

Anonymous said...

Can't think of a time when the Cubs game was over before noon. DLee sucked today, FYI. Blind squirrel theory in effect on yesterdays Soto call until further notice.

Lucifer himself seen leaving Marquis' locker with a notepad. A deal was clearly done.

69 fan said...

Fly the W.

Nice game for Marquis.

I think that somebody told Moss that he is now a Pirate. He looked good in the last series, not so much today.
Nice to see a win before lunch.

On to replay teritory tomorrow night.

Root for the Cardinals???? or just forget about them??.

Anonymous said...

Clearly I meant Jason "Lee" Marquis.

Anonymous said...

Hug me...read my blog.

U know u miss me.