Saturday, September 6, 2008

Is it too soon to say "uh-oh"

Uh-oh. Just in case it isn't too soon.

Okay, so the Phillies beat us two straight...but they are a pretty good team fighting for their lives in the NL east, right? Good excuse. Let's let those go. (Not to mention that they easily could have swept us, and according to their fans...SHOULD have.)

Then the Astros came in and swept us. Spanked us pretty good at home. But, hey, they were the hottest team in baseball at the time, all fired up, fighting for their lives, trying to make the wild card...yadda yadda yadda -- Good excuse. Let's let those go. No reason to panic, right?

Then the lowly fucking stinking Reds kick the shit out of us? I'm having a tough time with that. I'm looking for the excuse. Maybe you can help me find it because I can't. Bronson Arroyo isn't THAT good. Our offense may just be THAT bad. At least we trotted (and I use that term VERY VERY VERY literally) our A-team out there. Lots of 0-fers -- lots of 'em. Nice big 0-fer from Suckodome again. Lee dribbled a single. Soriano nothing. Koyie "Mordecai" Hill was our offense.

So, after last night's game, I am officially saying "uh-oh."

I am not a pessimist, not am I jumping on and off any fictional bandwagon. Just calling it as I see it...and I, for one, don't like the way it looks. I say give every starter a day off (except the pitcher) and let the callups and backups have a shot.

Today's lineup:

Reed Johnson CF
Mike Fontenot 2b
Micah Hoffpauir LF
Casey McGeehee 3b
Daryl Ward 1b
Ronny Cedeno ss
Koyie Hill c
Mark DeRosa rf (sorry, Mark...there's no one else since Pie is still at AAA)
Jason Marquis

You could put Ward in right, Hoffpauir at first and let Cedeno play left and leave Theriot at ss, too. Mix it up, for goodness' sake. We're stinking right now...what's the harm in trying something new? Does that go against the "book?" Horrors.

Where's Matt Murton when we need him? (Please don't hammer me on that, Doc, I'm joking.)

The only upside is that most of these games aren't televised. My new rule? If I don't see it, it didn't happen. It's the ostrich theory of baseball. Try it.

Best to cb

Sherm

4 comments:

69 fan said...

I think Matt is on the wrong side of the mendoza line... I guess he'd be batting cleanup.

Nothing good to say, So I won't say it../... Sabathia did not win last night.

Anonymous said...

So if tonights game isn't on TV and they lose again, it doesn't really count?

Anonymous said...

1. Sabathia also did not lose. Nor did the Brewers.

2. Exactly.

Anonymous said...

This guys make make the 69 Cubs look like winners.

I'm constipated