Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Still waiting on that clutch

I'm going to post tonight, since I have an early morning tomorrow and I'm in Toronto. No WGN here, so I had to "watch" the game on gameday on the website.

Great game. Congratulations to the Astros for bitch slapping us around at home.

Nice job, DLee...wasting multiple game winning opportunities. Get him out of the 3 spot.

Aramis is tired. More errors than hits. There goes the Gold Glove he wanted.

Soto and Theriot produced again. Good thing they were down at the bottom of the order where they couldn't do more damage.

We scratch back and blow it. There goes all the rest the players had.

Note: Valverde through all fastballs. Something like 25 in a row in the ninth.

In the bullpen's defense -- all we need was a run in the 8th, 9th or 10th, and we sure had the opportunities. Bases loaded, one out in the eighth for DPLee. 2 on with no out in the 10th. And why bunt DeRosa in the 9th? For one, he has some pop and HAS been hitting, and also, ARam is running and he doesn't run fast even when he can. Stupid out.

I also disagree with pulling Fontenot for Blanco. I don't care who is pitching.

We had what? 15 hits and 8 walks? And can't win. With Zambrano starting? And now they announce that Harden will miss his next start "as a precaution." What the fuck does that mean? Precaution for what? He hasn't pitched on short rest and he hasn't gone deep into a game yet. What are we "precautioning?" Is his arm going to fall off any minute? What the hell? I'm not going to work Thursday "as a precaution." Because "something" might happen. Absurd, unless there is a problem. If so, say so.

Howry/Wuertz looked good. Or should I say Whackit and Smackit?

Blum beats us. He's the replacement third baseman because Wigginton is playing left for Carlos Lee. El Cafatso. Blum and his .235 average.

Thanks again to the Mets for keeping us insecurely ahead of the Brewers.

Wood and Marmol both go two innings, so they won't be available tomorrow. Need a complete game.

Being a Cub fan for as long as I have...this is starting to bother me. You can tell me to relax, but we all know how fast a season can turn. Lou needs to do something to end this slump and get this team "righted." We all know that the "hot" team gets through the playoffs, not the one that limps in. I want to feel comfortable about the rotation again. I want to see some clutch hits again...from the guys making the big $$ to produce clutch hits.

I want to see Micah Hoffpauir get some at bats and see if he can light up the bigs like he did the minors. He did pretty well last time he was up.

Bottom line? I am nervous. Anyone else?

best to cb

Sherm

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have to agree on many counts....why not give Hoffpauir a swing early? When will DLee hit a ball over the outfield again? The coach in me is DISGUSTED at the lack of SITUATIONAL HITTING...double play balls with the bases loaded when all you need is a lazy fly?????? Lee seems to topspin EVERYTHING...where is Gerald P???? I realize he hit a game tying flyball into the basket, but Edmonds could have iced the game in the 1st with only a decent at-bat...I know the guy yarded twice with me at Wrigley....but come ON!!! The guy is washed the hell up....give me Pie who can throw out a runner, give me Hoffpauir who has proven himself at AAA....give me Fuko who incredulously can't get a BUNT DOWN IN A KEY SITUATION!!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME FUKO?????? JAPANESE PLAYERS ARE FUNDEMANTALLY SOUND AND THAT WAS HORESHIT...Lou should make him check out of the 4 Seasons and into the Days Inn on Diversey for a month for that garbage. Than he should run sprints around Lane Tech until he pukes. They had too many chances to win tonight...and too little execution...I am starting to lose faith in Lou's ability to run the club and manage a winner....plus I am crabby as hell....

69 fan said...

DP LOB Fucking Lee needs to sit.
I was praying for him to strike out with the bases loaded in the hopes that Aramis could do the job with 2 outs. Let's give Hoffpauir a few games, we can't do worse than this last 4 games.

Although Fuko failed to bunt, he did get a base hit. 2 on nobody out, no advancement of the runners.

Hank White for fontenot was curious to me as well, we were not looking for a squeeze play with a runner on second.

Really pisses me off when there are that many chances to win with a sacfly and zippo .

On the bright side, Alf really is hitting in a power spot now. what with most innings ending with 3 or 4 making the last out, that makes Alf # 5 in the next inning. Our best on base hitters have been 6-8, setting Alfs table. Kind of along the lines of batting the pitcher 8th to get a second lead off hitter.

Toronto??? Are4 the Argonauts holding open tryouts?

Anonymous said...

Funny how the Astros left the southpaw in for those two innings without regard to who was batting. Because he was the best they had at the time. Sometimes the offense needs to do that as well. You can't ALWAYS pinch hit just because the "book" says to get the lefty/righty thing going.

Let's talk about tonight. Randy Wolf is a soft tossing lefty. He's going to tie our righties into fits with that change and slow curve. Just so happens that Edmonds, Ward and probably Fontenot could all hit him. Edmonds and Ward are very good on the change. Notice I didn't mention Fukusitdown. But we will have our all right handed lineup in the game tonight, and who knows what'll happen. We will see...

I want to see Hoffpauir, regardless of the pitcher.

Anonymous said...

Four in a row....

ANd less than 1 month to go...
We are not going to last long in the Playoffs....

if we play like this.

Anonymous said...

If the Argonauts were holding tryouts, I'd like, so be there.

I am at the film festival. I'm a judge again for the eighth year. It's a blast. I'll be here through the 13th.

Not really, but that would be a hoot. Leaving tomorrow. Can't wait to get back on good old American soil. I'll kiss the ground at O'Hare when I land. Not really.

I did notice on the way in, though, that the airport giftshops have an over abundance of Cubs shirts...specifically the ones with the number 1 on them. Yeah, that's right, Fukudome shirts. Want one? They're real cheap right now.

Significance of the number one? Hits in August? Stolen bases since May? Hits off a lefty all year?

They were using the headbands to wipe down the counters at the Berghoffs in the B gates.