Monday, September 22, 2008

World Series Strategy and more

I know I might be jumping the gun, but after watching the AAA Cubs whoop the Cards yesterday, I can't help but think about the World Series for a moment.

I think that the following ideas are important to our postseason success, so feel free to forward them to Lou, Jim and the rest of the Cubbie braintrust.

I know that you do what you have to in the playoffs to GET to the World Series, so these suggestions are based on the big IF that things go perfectly and we can set up our rotation as we WANT to for the World Series. In that case, I strongly suggest:


A. Harden and Lilly pitch the first two games of the World Series. Why? Simple. There are three reasons.

1. Harden and Lilly are both much more familiar with whatever American League in which we will play having spent most of their careers in that league.

2. This is a biggie. Zambrano should pitch game three because it is at home and that gets his BAT into the lineup. That is a huge advantage for us over whoever the AL pitcher in the game is.

3. Dempster goes game four. Just look at his home record.


B. In the American League park, Soriano should DH. Why?

1. The obvious reason is defense. Reed Johnson, Fukudome, Pie, the little kid across the street -- are all better fielders.

2. The secondary reason is offense. We don't have a DH in the dugout. Why would we, right? I mean, Ward? Not really. He's no Ortiz or Thome or Vlad...AL teams are built for DH's. NL teams are not. Our right handed DH vs a lefty starter? Cedeno? Come on. Use Sori...and make up for the lack of DH with defense. The pitchers will thank you.


I was in St. Louis this weekend on business and this all just came to me. I was sitting talking with some Cardinal fans, the self proclaimed "smartest baseball fans in the world" (excuse me I just threw up a little in my mouth)...and they were going on and on about whatever it is they talk about -- something like "blah blah blah Pujols blah blah blah Pujols blah blah" and I had this epiphany about the rotation. Funny where the mind will go when it is forced to seek its own intelligent entertainment.

Speaking of Cardinal fans, guy says to me that they (Cards) need pitching so bad. Also mentions that the only Cub he'd want is Marmol. Also says that Santana and Lincecum and the two best pitchers in baseball. So I asked him...would you trade Pujols for Santana, Lincecum and Marmol. He says "no way." Also said he'd only trade him for Bob Gibson, so I think he might have been retarded. For the record, I'd trade anyone for those three. Also for the record? Bob Gibson is like 75 now.

Have a great week. Let's clinch that home field advantage today and keep the momentum rolling. Rest everyone. Get the rotation ready. And let's all pray for nice weather in Chicago in October. Can you imagine playing the Red Sox in the series if it's a shitty winter? Might have to play on a neutral field with a dome. Milwaukee might be nice.

Go Cubs.

Best to cb.

Sherm

7 comments:

69 fan said...

HE'S BAAAACK!!!

Well first off the Cubs were 5-2, Brewers 1-7 (someone told them it was still 2007), Astroholes were abysmal, and the Cards eliminated while I was out of the country.

I had limited knowledge of this as the "satellite TV" at the hotel was almost all Spanish speaking channels and their Idea of ESPN covered such crap as soccer and auto racing. You would think in a Machismo culture they might be more interested in manly sports. The sole source of real sports info was a local Miami station that covered sports like KTLA does, stick to the local guys. I did hear that the Marlins were catching the Brewers, so inferred the Brewers were swooning. I also heard while half asleep that Z had a no no, so broke down and bought 15 min of Internet access which I spread over 4 days. At that point I found out how well things were going and decided that as I already pointed out, the world revolves around my bung hole, that I should stay on vacation until November. I was delighted to see the Sherminator thinking along the same lines. I can swing the vacation, but closing the office costs me about a grand a day. Donations can be pledged at 1 800 KILL DOC.

I agree with Alf at DH, but worry about his psyche. Big Z should bat. Starting game 3 allows for starting a game 7. I feel bad for Demp limited to 1 start, but Ted had been a stud. The guy I feel really bad for is Marquis. I know his English is limited due to an up bringing in New York, but to be left off of the post season roster once again, as would seem logical, is also a bit of a cruel fate.

I don't exactly like taking the NL playoffs for granted, lets try the Lou Holtz approach.

"The about WS strategy is predicated on the slim miracle of perseverance over truly awesome opponents in the NL playoffs."

Diving is always good, but I did miss the banter.

Anonymous said...

Glad your back....

If we make and win the World Series expect ticket prices to go thru the ceiling and the US Government will
have to take a loan from the new Cubs owner.

Good to see Vegas busy. 4th of July was very scawy in the land of Lost Wages.

I'm looking at putting $100 on the Cubs to win...probably a better investment than my 401k is right now.

Eddie Vedder's 2007 Cubs camp song
has been endorsed by Mr Banks. Looks like another addition to Go Cubs Go!

Anonymous said...

Jacque tu' tight? Izz zat you? Eet is me, your oldest friend.

Anonymous said...

Memo to Doc Cozy -- we go cold and you are on the next plane to Mexico, mister!

Anonymous said...

Hey doc can we borrow some money?

Anonymous said...

the no hitter notwithstanding, Z is our 3rd best pitcher anyway...that coupled with the bat, and of course you hit him in game 3. I'd let him pinch hit if the situation dictated, and Ward was already used.

Anonymous said...

Cardinal fan must be retarded. Why would Cardinal fan trade one Cardinal player, Pooholes, for another, Gibson?