Tuesday, September 9, 2008

We interrupt our regularly scheduled programming to bring you this special post

It's a baseball blog, y'all. More specifically, a Cub blog. Whilst I, too, enjoy a good chatterboxing about what's on the telly, this is not the forum for that. If you'd like, I will start a new blog and call it Shermstellypicks and we can go on and on about Dexter, The Shield, et al.

Alas, I am concerned also about Smitty. He's either constipated or Homo Joe. Either way, that's kind of disturbing.

And now, back to Shermrants, already in progress:

...and that's why I think the Blue Jays and Astros are the two best teams in baseball right now. Unfortunately for them and their fans, it's too little, too late.

The Red Sox are better with Jason Bay than they were with Manny. How is that possible? Chemistry? Look out Rays, here come the Sox. Kotsay was a great pickup for them.

We should go get Roy Halladay from the Blue Jays -- I don't mean trade for him, I mean kidnap him. No one knows what he looks like anyway, because he's played his whole career in Canada, so we change his name and use him. Thoughts?

We need to beat Kyle Lohse tonight. He's been tough on us this year...and I still don't think he's as good as his record indicates. Start the youngsters...I demand to see Hoffpauir in the starting lineup. Personally, I think we should start Pie and Fontenot, too.

Soriano (because some things are sacred)
Theriot
Lee (because Lou can't think past this)
Ramirez
Hoffpauir (rf)
Soto
Pie
Fontenot
Dempster

Give DeRosa a night off. Give Reedmonds a night off. Give Bailodome a night off (again)

Get get 'em!

best to cb

Sherm

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm going to post my own comment here...

be honest. Am I the only one who KNEW that when we failed to score with bases loaded and one out in the top of the sixth that it wasn't a matter of IF the Cards would score, it was a matter of HOW MANY?

Of course, everybody knows the best way to fool Poohole is with a first ball fastball. He sure can't handle those.

Damnit.

Anonymous said...

I'm pissed.

First off -- one really stupid pitch to the best hitter in baseball and poof...there goes the lead.

Remember when people used to pitch around Barry Bonds? Why don't we pitch around Pujols? Are we really that stupid? Or is it arrogant?

And then...single, balk, walk, bunt, grounder -- and we lose.

It's called situational baseball in some circles. Something that the Cubs do not do. Not ever.

Soriano had a horrible game -- left several runners on base in key situations. Oops. That's why he likes to lead off. No pressure.

After the fourth throw to first I thought to myself (actually hollered at the screen) "if he doesn't forget the fucking runner something bad is going to happen" -- of course, I assumed he'd throw one away. Didn't count on the balk.

Nice game, team. Good job, all. Once again -- our clutch is out and we are limping to the finish line. Let's hope we get there.

Go Reds.

Anonymous said...

Okay. Time to change focus. The key isn't the Cubs winning their way to the playoffs. It's everyone else continuing to lose. Thx to CPat for scoring the winning run v the Beer team.
I don't see why they don't use Sabathia out of the bullpen a few times between starts. It's not like they'll have him next year anyhow. Whatever. Thx, Reds, for allowing us to keep losing and maintain the lead.

Note to Lou. Most managers walk the bases loaded in that situation to set up a force at home or a DP. You know what a DP is -- we specialize in them from the 3 hole.

I heard Lou went off after the game but didn't get the actual comments. I'm sure whatever it was, it was motivating as all get out.

Anonymous said...

And one other thing. Why play Dusty ball and have Soto bunting in the first place? Guy isn't a bunter. He has over 50 extra baser hits. And how many sac bunts? Probably none. So what are the odds? Better that he'll get a hit than get the bunt down. C'mon, Lou. Quit playing not to lose and start playing to win.

Anonymous said...

Zero sac bunts for Soto in his entire career...and counting. Still has to be able to get it down in time for Pie to get to 2nd. With a runner on 3rd and 1 out, DLee has got to be able to hit the ball past the pitcher...that was the key...to extend that lead that early would have done the Cardinals in.

69 fan said...

Perverse Psychology

Most Americans when watching a ball game realize that they, sitting in their living room, can control the out come of the sporting event they are watching. If I take a sip of water and Big Z throws a strike, I take another before the next pitch. I've been known to stay on the exercise bike beyond the usual if there is a rally going on, because my efforts can control it.

Each of the last 2 days I've commented about how powerful the Brewers are and that they will destroy the hapless Reds that eve. I've also added a blurb about some cathartic TV show and look at the results. You can thank me now if you like.

Well that got a bit tangential, so even though it worked, lets try to be a little more main stream.

I'm not sure why or even if the Red's will show up today, why bother. The Brewers are a dominating force, powerful up and down the line up, and boy can they ALL pitch. I predict a massacre, the Reds will likely forfeit and leave town by the end of the 5th inning.
Wasn't there a sitcom about the Yankee's locker room in the 70's.

There, I've satisfied the baseball deities for another day.


If the Cubs decide to play baseball again this year, would somebody please let me know. I seem to remember enjoying watching them, but it's been such a long lonely time.

Anonymous said...

The voodoo fails today. Probably due to a lack of violent TV banter.