Tuesday, October 7, 2008

I feel bad

I feel bad for Reed Johnson and Ted Lilly. Johnson was a spark plug all year long...and didn't get a single post season at bat (Fukudome got ten!) and Lilly was unquestionably our best pitcher down the stretch, and he didn't get to throw a pitch.

Great email from Doc Raker yesterday about sharing baseball with the family. Except my kids are grown. My wife doesn't like baseball. And the dogs, no matter how much I tried to solicit their attention...didn't care. So I suffered through this beat down alone -- except, of course, for all of you loyal readers.

Questions to ponder:

1. Will we re-sign Ryan Dempster? I think we should but don't know if we will.
2. Will we re-sign Kerry Wood? I think we will but don't know if we should.
3. Will we be active in the free agent market? I think we should be.
4. Will we re-sign Edmonds? Johnson? Or will this be the year of the Pie?
5. What impact player(s) would you like to the Cubs add? And how do you suggest it happen? Trade? Who for who? Free agency?

How would you change this team so that we can actually win a post series (or game)? Send me your suggestions. I think Jim Hendry reads this blog, so he'll see your ideas.

more later. Or not.

Thank goodness the White Sox are done. Angels, too...now my cow-orkers will shut off. I purposed misplace the hyphen in that word because it's funnier. Deal with it.

Red Sox lose Manny completely, Lowell to injury, Ortiz and Drew are half speed at best. Beckett is pitching hurt. Oh, yeah, and they still beat the team with 100 wins. News flash> there is a strategy to baseball.

best to cb

Sherm

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dodgers-Red Sox World Series....

Dodgers in 6.

Torre and Manny have something to prove to the East Coast.

You heard it here first. I was right on Dempster working as hard as he did during the off season.

Sori...and Fukndo-me could take a chapter out of Dempster's book.

How many people will cancel out of camp now that the economy is down and the Cubs are out?

They are marketing the camp as the 40th anniversary of the 69 Cubs and 25th anniversary of the 84 Cubs
Invite the 08 Cubs for the 4 month anniversary.
ALL LOSERS! ALL CHOKED!

Anonymous said...

bullshit...

I was the one who told you Dempster was working hard. I read it early on about him running up and down mountains to build his leg strength.

You are the one who told us about Podsednik. Who, I think ended the year where he always does...on the DL.

69 fan said...

1 Re-sign Demp. Yes, no brain-er same with Wood. You can never have enough pitching.
2 Re-sign Edmond's, but to mentor Pie, don't re-sign Johnson, but only due to him being right handed.
3 Fuko should be better. Look at how hard it must be to move to a foreign country, most of the folks can't talk to you, your family, a newborn included, is in Japan. and the season is longer. As a sophomore, he should handle it better, he already has the skills.
4. When you look at who you would like to pick up, you need to look at where the position is that you want to up grade. This may sound nuts, but I would try to trade Alf.
He can be a powerful offensive force, but has way too much baggage. Ideally send him to the Tigers for Granderson (send cash too), Dumbrowski may be eager enough to do it.
5 Before the 3 game shitting of their pants, I would have said trade D Lee. But he hit well, and I think that Talent is not the problem, It's psyche, and D Lee is a solid thinker.
6 Have Hoffpauir play out field in spring training, so he can be used more like Daryl Ward who should not be resigned (?is he a free agent?).
7 I suppose that Manny, Maddux and Torre are the most likable folks left, so it would be OK if they won.

My daughter is a fair weather fan, and wife and dogs have attention deficit disorder, so Keep firing, I'll answer.

Anonymous said...

1. Dempster should get no more than a series of 1 year deals. About 6 mil per.
2. Marmol is the closer next year, so paying Wood more than 2 mil to set up would be too much.
3. No way Zell spends the free agent money. The team would have to change hands for free agent activity to liven up. C'mon Cuban!
4. I do not think the Cubsre-sign Edmonds. I appreciate his 19 HR's and 76 slow rollers to 2B, but he is washed up. I like the idea of re-signing Reed J, and platooning him and Fuky in CF. We are stuck with Fuky and his HUUUUUGE salary, might as well use him. Stick Hoffpauir in RF, see what he can do.
5. I wouldn't mind seeing the Cubs trade for a SS who can hit...really hit. Then they could platoon Theriot and Fontenot at 2B. Both guys are winners, but they are both platoon second basemen. So who are the Shortstops we should trade for? Hanley Ramierezand Michael Young come to mind....maybe trade DLee back to the Fish for Ramirez...freeing up 1B for Hoffpauir. The Rangers are always an easy mark...they make stupid trades seemingly monthly...why not try to thieve Young?

Here are my 3 keys to playoff success for next year...ready? Hire Reggie Smith to be the hitting coach. The guy has done wonders with the Olympic teams and is not with anyone currently. Then the Cubs throw mega-jack atGreg Maddux, and beg him to become the pitching coach for the next 25 years. He is the only guy for the job, and really should retire this offseason from pitching.

Anonymous said...

the 3rd key is that Soriano NOT hit leadoff.

Anonymous said...

I disagree wholeheartedly. Soriano absolutely should bat leadoff.

For the Pirates.

Anonymous said...

Like the Pirates want his overpaid feww swinging ass...it'd be a guaraneed 110 losses for them.