Tuesday, October 14, 2008

What can I say?

Not much Cub news to report. Will we re-sign Wood and Dempster? Probably. Will we be active in the free agent market? Maybe.

This year's news isn't going to be about what we do (unless it's big, and I don't think it will be. What I mean is -- don't expect Sabathia or Teixiera in Cub blue next year.) It's going to be about what others do. I expect teams to make big, bold moves to improve.

I anticipate little moves by our guys. Harden's locked up. Rotation is pretty close to set. Bullpen is pretty good. We're stuck with Neifidome. We're stuck with Strikeout-ano. There will be no change in the corner infield or behind the plate. Chances are that Theriot is locked in at short. DeRosa will play somewhere -- second and right, again, most likely platooning with Fontenot and Mendozadome. That really only leaves centerfield. Edmonds and Johnson were good enough, by far. I expect that this should be Pie's year to try to shine. Hoffy replaces Ward as PH lefty off the bench. What else can we...or will we do? Anything else is a shake up -- and I just don't see it. Not without a new owner and a new budget. I don't see a big free agent signing in our future. I don't see a CC, Burnett, Lowe, Peavy or top starter being added.

Memo to all Cub fans and song writers. Lay off the stupid songs. Every time we have a team song we lose. Well, we lose with or without the songs, but let's have a year of humility this year and let's not celebrate every home win like it's the little league World Series.

Memo to Cubs. Let's make it a more businesslike approach. Now that you've won two straight division titles -- let's not even pop champagne for that. No champagne for you until you win a playoff series. Deal?

Wasn't it Lou who left Tampa Bay a few years ago because they weren't committed enough to winning? I have pants older than that team. Do they have a fantasy camp? It would have to be all guys who are still playing.

Rumor is that the Brewers will be trading Cecil. Thoughts? I think he'll be a Yankee if that happens.

best to cb

Sherm

2 comments:

69 fan said...

I pretty much agree with your assessment.
Hoffpauir worries me a little as if he's with the big club, he may rust. It's happened before.

Definitely agree with the celebration thing. I'm not sure I will even get too up over a 110 win season, it won't mean shit with out finishing.

Interesting side note. The Eddie Vedder song about going all the way did not refer to a rock stars apres show entertainment, but to the Cubs. I watched him write it. It was in a bar in Scottsdale where Carmen Fanzone was playing his horn and a bunch of campers were in attendance including Eddie who worked on his notes for a few hours while watching.
Brushes with greatness, but I'm with you, I want a workman-like season grinding opponents into the ground. That is their Job. Losses are failure, winning is expected. Don't like it?, get off the bus.

Sound still pissed? you betcha.

Anonymous said...

I'd like to see the Cubs move on CC or Peavy. They won't, because Zell is losing his ass every day the credit markets tank. I'd think the best move would be to platoon Fuko and Reed J. in center, and DeRosa and Hoffy in right. Let Fontenot hit 2nd and play 2nd every day. I'd love to see a move where the Cubs could get a legit power guy at 1B. I am sick of DLee's act. He wasn't even all that good with the glove this year...and he didn't hit a ball over anyone's head after May. His best years are 2 years ago.

Thanks for the call Sherm....everything is stable here. My mom and husband are in for a month to bail us out, and our FT home nurse started last week and is awesome.

One day at a time.