Thursday, October 2, 2008

You gotta be kidding me

Stupid. That's the only word I can think of that covers it all. Stupid.

1. Stupid to walk that many hitters in a fairly weak lineup.
2. Stupid to bat Fukudome second.
3. Stupid to bat Soto in the five spot.
4. Stupid to even have Pie on the roster.

Whole lotta stupid going on. Hey, I checked the Japanese translation for Fukudome and found something interesting. "Fuku" means Felix. "Dome" means Pie.

Soriano picks up right where he left off last year in the playoffs -- with a huge 0'fer. Ron Darling (and don't get me started on the announcing team of Moron, Asswipe and Fatz) even said that it's pretty easy to pitch Soriano -- get him to strike one and then don't throw anything in the zone again. He'll chase. Great. Now the secret is out.

Soto shouldn't bat 5 because he is not a mature hitter. His at bat with Ramirez on second and none out proves my point. It's two and o -- and then he takes two fastballs right down the middle. And then swings at a pitch a foot off of the plate. All he needed to do was move the runner over. It was 4 - 2 at the time.

Dempster's refusal to quit overthrowing fastballs hurt -- walking Lowe twice? Furcal, in his first game in months, twice? Come on. He was absolutely pathetic.

I thought we played like a team that didn't have to fight to get into the playoffs.

I think we can and will win tonight, but now it's a tougher road. We have to win 3 of 4 against a Dodger team that is really starting to build confidence. Loney was in the dumps until the slam. He had an awful September and looked bad on the first two pitches of the at bat until Dempster hit his bat right on the sweet spot. Now he'll be sky high.

We need Big Z to make the difference tonight.

Also -- Fontenot should have started v Lowe last night. If DeRosa was okay to play at all, he should have been in right field. Fukudome is a late inning replacement only. Two spot! Ha. Nice 0 for 9 from the top 167 million dollars.

Go Cubs. Win tonight. Ravage -- back to Cozumel, quick!

best to cb

Sherm

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I almost vomittted when I saw Fukudome in the 2 hole, and Pie on the roster. If you have Fukudome for defense why do you need Pie- Reed Johnson has been pretty damn good all year. Johnson or DeRosa in RF, or Hauffpauir- oh they left the rookie sluggin sensation OFF THE ROSTER. Then 3 walks and a slam on 0-2, little league stuff, an 0-2 HR for Manny on a good pitch even. I am pissed, sorry but I have no confidence in the 2 cent head of Big Z. I thought we would lose the Big Z game and win the others. Hold on tight.

Anonymous said...

Is this another train wreck?

At Wrigley of all places?

Fall apart for 1 game in LA.

Pinella should have tried his special line up the last week instead of in the playoffs.

It was working in September. Why change now?

#2 for Fukodome? Pinella lost the game with bad managing.

We need tonight and the game after that...and the next game, etc.

AAAAAAGHHHHHHSSSGGG! Sorry Hairball.

Anonymous said...

What amazed me was the sleepy crowd, who looked almost as if they were expecting the Cubs to lose. I know everyone hates the Sox, but even the idiot announcers (why does TBS have these games?)were saying what a huge difference between Comiskey and Wrigley. The fans need to make some noise.

As for the game...Alf is a terrible leadoff hitter, and an easy out for a smart pitcher. I would throw sinkers and sliders away to DLee every pitch to induce easy double play balls. I hope that Dr. Jekyll Zambrano shows up tonight, and not the Mr. Hide version. I have never really seen a more lifeless effort on the part of a ballclub or its fans in a playoff game like last night.

Ron Darling is a blathering moron. Tony Gwynn didn't say much, I assume becasue he was busy eating Prince Fielder and CC Sabathia. Dick Stockton has a worse hair weave than Mark Decarlo...and is absolutely horrible at calling baseball. He should stick to basketball, which I don't watch, so I never have to see or hear him again.

69 fan said...

THE WEIGHT

I don't know where to start.

By the 4th, with us up 2-0 I was fairly sure we would lose. For all the reasons that we did.
Alf swings at any thing that leaves the pitchers hand, I could strike him out.
DP Lee DP'd
The De Rosa HR was a wind blown pop up. Derick Lowe was not pitching much better than Demp, but the Dodgers were not swinging.
All the things we did right over the season, we reverted to old tried and failed form last night.
WHY?

it must be THE WEIGHT.

Not tony Gwynns weight, but the 100 years thing. It's fucking everywhere.

The players, coaches, and us can give lip service to it being some one else's fault, but we all still feel it. Why else would Demp throw a season high number of walks. He Sucked. It has to be the weight.

There are glimmers of hope. A Ram started off much better than last years play off debacle. Alf hit a fly ball late in the game. Lou will almost certainly bat Theriot 2nd tonite.

The big question is big Z. I tend to agree with my learned colleague, Doc Raker. Carlos is a head case more likely to implode than excel. If he survives, we could be ok as I have more faith in Harden and Lilly right now than Z. But a loss tonight and suicide becomes a viable option. Even with a win, there is no way to be happy until at least after game 3.

Eamus Furball (what the cat coughed up)

Anonymous said...

The Weight. I love the title. May I steal it for an essay that begs to be written?

Anonymous said...

Si senor.
I'm packing.

Anonymous said...

the Dodderers were lifeless, too, until we injected life into them and made them believe that they could win.

A walk in the park. Or, more aptly, many walks in the park.

Good idea about not batting Soriano first. Why didn't that ever come up before?

Zambrano will be great tonight, because it's all about him. He'll probably pitch a great game and get two hits.

TBS is doing the games because Taste of America wasn't available.

The commentary was the worst ever. I hereby give those three the nickname "Tony Darling Dick"

Maybe tonight, if we're lucky, they'll bring in Patrick Ewing to help with the play by play.

Or Sammy Sosa. Or the lady from Pakistan that I spoke to about fixing my laptop. She was easy to understand. I said "where are you?" and she said "I cannot tell you that." I said "I was just making conversation, you idiot, I'm not going to walk the streets of Bombay trying to find you." She said "I'm not in Bombay." See, I'm tricky. I've really narrowed it down. That's why I think she's in Pakistan.

Anyway...

Tonight's lineup -- just released:

Soriano LF
Fukudome RF
Lee 1B
DeRosa 3B
Theriot CF
Edmonds C
Cedeno SS
Zambrano P
Blanco 2B

Lou said that "he wants to shake it up a bit."