Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Jim Hendry

Hendry got a four year extension...which I have to believe that he deserved. All things considered, I think he's done a good job. Juggling this new owner, the pending sale, the team budget and so on? It can't be easy and I think he's done as well as he can -- plus he's pulled off a couple of very good deals.

It wouldn't have hurt us to rent Manny last year. I wonder why we didn't get into that. The Dodgers didn't give up anything in the deal. Sure, LaRoche, but we had to have something as good or better than that for Pittsburgh...

Edmonds and Johnson were a very good centerfield platoon -- I wonder what we'll do for that position in 2009? I don't think we'll see a repeat platoon. Anyone out there think that Pie is ready? Why is our "young" guy always not ready? Why are Gomez, Span, Upton and a host of other young centerfielders ready? Soto made the transition to the bigs. Why can't Pie? He's a five tool guy. He can field. He can run. He can field. And he can field. I'd say that if we can't sign a big bat for right field, resign Edmonds and Johnson...but I don't think it will happen. Both showed that they can still play and at least will sign elsewhere.

I think that if Fukuwasteofmoneydome doesn't hit over .300 in spring training? Send him for a season of AAA ball. He's got to learn to hit somewhere and the big club is not on the job training for a contender. Sorry, Kosuke, here's a camera. Go see America by bus.

I am working on a great "column." Can I call it that? Anyhoo...stay tuned. Sorry. That might have been a shameless plug. You know what that makes me. Oh, well.

Oh, to be a Luddite.

best to cb.

Sherm

4 comments:

69 fan said...

Got a chuckle from your "anybody out there..." question. I know it wasn't phrased that way, but...
I don't know if Pie is ready, but he should be given the opportunity to prove that he is not. Loved the 5 tool reference, topical.
I've been behind hendry for a long time (not like sen. Craig), still a great executive, even if his players can't smoothly swallow their food.
Manny was not an option for us as he's another Alf in the outfield. He would be great as a replacement for Alf, but you can't surrender that much defense.

Anonymous said...

Just hung out with Johnny B AMandez at the Wood Bat Tournament in Tucson

He was wearing an A's jersey and playing catcher.

I'm waiting patiently on Sherm's answer.

Wood and Wieners
Beans and Franks.

Anonymous said...

a.) Sherm's answer for what?

b.) How come I never really know what Smitty means?

3.) I can hit

Anonymous said...

back from AZ....made it to the quarterfinals...hit .550 in the 35+ world series with an obscene .750OBP and how about a 1.850 OPS? Against real pitchers who'd prefer I didn't make contact. Sure, they were lobbing pus, but it was real pus.

Looking forward to the Shermies...and my muscles feeling somewhat normal again.