Sunday, October 5, 2008

On the bright side

Oh, wait, there isn't a fucking bright side.

I'd keep the pitching staff and wholesale the rest of the team. Is it too late to become a lifelong Red Sox fan? What's the number for Doctor Tattoff?

Seriously, though -- my name is Sherm and I am a Cub fan.

{Hello, Sherm} responds the rest of the audience in this make believe Cubaholics Anonymous support group.

I've been a member of C.A. my whole life. Apparently it is an addiction I cannot break. Let me say this, though, to those of you who share this addiction: I PREFERRED it when we sucked. It was easier to be a lovable loser than just a loser. It's less heart wrenching to be a doormat than an upset. It's simpler to have no expectations than feel this pain.

I could write more, but I just don't want to. I have no real want to be funny or clever. I have no need to be poignant. I'm numb. And I just realized that this team...will NEVER make it any farther than this. Period. I mean THIS team -- these players and coaches -- not the Cubs in general. The Cubs will eventually win it all. And I hope that my great grandkids enjoy it.

So when does the Mark Cuban era begin? I mean era, not error, like that jackass Dick Stockton..

And that wasn't Tony Gwynn. It was Bill Cosby on helium. I was waiting for him to bust out a pudding pop reference any moment.

More next spring.

best to cb

Sherm

3 comments:

69 fan said...

Years ago, when we, strike that, the cubs, were not the best team in the league, The end of the season was a bitter sweet time when everything freezes, and you just want to look forward to spring. The last game of the season was an opportunity to see the last baseball that mattered to me.

But not lately.

You know, maybe I'm not into an introspective feel good/bad tome., all I can tell you is that I was somewhat successful in not caring. I was mostly numb, and actually turned the game off for a few innings at a time. It was close to easier not watching. Some poetry in Alf swinging at the last pitch well out of the zone.

You would think there is little to do to improve the best team in the league, but I guess we can spend the next 4 months talking about just how.

Eamus Fuckuploli

Anonymous said...

Good thing the Bars in Wrigleyville agreed to halt late inning sales of liquor... Aren't I a sneaky bastard.

Anonymous said...

Pathetic....
Embarrassing....
Our Fantasy team was better.....

I'm numb.