Wednesday, December 31, 2008

New Year's Resolutions

First of all, it appears that we are going to sign Marvin Hasbro. I'm not thrilled about that as I would prefer the younger, better hitting Adam Dunn. The less headcase, less injured, wants to be a Cub Adam Dunn. The 50 plus dingers Adam Dunn. But what do I know?

I can see it now. Both Hasbro and Soriano will get injured on the same celebratory "jump bump" in May.

We'll be trading Jason Marquis for Jose Vizcaino. What's that? Oh. Sorry. Luis Vizcaino. Not much difference in my mind. It's more of a salary dump. Too bad we couldn't get more young talent for Marquis -- he's not THAT bad a starter. At least barring an acquisition, this means that Sean Marshall gets a chance to be a starter right out of the gate. I'm okay with that because he's a pretty good pitcher, getting better every season...and he's a lefty. As long as we split him and Lilly's starts, he should be effective.

The Mets have offered Derek Lowe three years and $36m...that's not much for a guy with his stats. We should jump into the mix if that's the going rate.

Enough baseball for the year --

It's time to talk about the new year. 2009. What will it bring? A world series to Cub fans? I hope so.

My resolutions:

1. I will not criticize Kosuke Fukudome. At least until spring training starts. Then it's ON.
2. I will not watch the "pitch by pitch" recap on my phone during family gatherings.
3. I will not stay up to see highlights of games that I watched.
4. I will not make fun of Mark DeCarlo's throwing arm.
5. I will not wear spandex pants to restaurants.
6. I will not let any single game outcome upset me. Because they play 162. Postseason not included.
7. I will quit stalking Mike Fontenot
8. I will be a happy blogger and not rant so much. I will seek out only the good. In fact, I might change the name of the blog to "Shermhappyhappyjoyjoy." Or not.


My real resolutions? Well, number 2 up there is kind of real, but beyond that...to try to be a better me than I was the year before. I'll try to keep blogging as often as possible, because it keeps me in touch with my friends -- you guys -- and that's important to me. I'll try to eat better so that I don't get confused for a lighter skinned Prince Fielder. And I'm gonna finish my novel.

Feel free to post your resolutions. Remember that they don't count unless you tell somebody.

I would like to play in that Mesa Mania, or whatever it's called, but as of this moment cannot commit to the days. My schedule in January is nuts -- I need a few more days to decide. If I miss out because of that...oh well...maybe I can come down and root for you guys who do play.

Happy New Year. I wish you all the best for 2009 -- and look forward to sharing a world series championship with you!

JS

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Responses to the resolutions:

1. LLLLLLEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAVVVVVVE Fuko ALOONE!
2. I'll be looking to skip family gatherings altogether when the Cubs are playing.
3. It will depend on whether or not the baby has me up anyway.
4. Mark Decarlo doesn't have an arm, he has a wing.
5. Please pass along this resolution to the throngs of fat women here in the South Bay that insist on it.
6. I will only get pissed at the games Alf costs up by dropping pop flies and hopping.
7. You could stalk Fontenot, Theriot and Miles...no one can tell them apart anyway.
8. The rant is an integral part of the blog. You can't take it out. If you call it happyjoyjoy or some shit, It will mean increased ratings for the cartoon that is Smittys blog.

Happy New Year.