Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Winter Meetings

Sorry, Dave, that I couldn't be there yesterday...

Time to jump back into baseball...

The Cubs appear to be ready to get Jake Peavy. I still like the acquisition, although I question the trade of Mark DeRosa. I know that you have to give quality to get quality. I just think he's such a valuable and versatile player -- as a multi position guy, a good teammate and a fairly important part of our offense. He did hit 20 out and have 90 rbi's. I also realize that he may have had the best year of his career and perhaps this is a perfect time to trade him.

Obviously, Marquis must go to get this and other deals done. That'll happen, but when? They keep talking about a lefty bat for the outfield -- my prediction? We get Milton Bradley. I know. People think he's a headcase. So what? Lou does well with headcases, and he's the most talented guy available. Much better fielder than Abreu or Ibanez or Dunn. Also, a switch hitter. I'm okay with him.

I hear that the Yankees want to sign all three big pitching free agents: Sabathia, Lowe and Burnett. Could you imagine if they got all three? That would be quite a coup. And expensive.
I'd rather see Sabathia in the AL than on Milwaukee.

This is fun -- I wish more deals were being made. It's all talk right now. K-Rod is a Met. I think Kerry Wood will be a Tiger. Better a Tiger than a Cardinal, I always say.

More later.

js

5 comments:

69 fan said...

CC a Yank, gets him out of the NL , which is a good thing. He also was in a position that all of us Walter Mittys would fantasize our selves, and tried to do what I would have done, resist New York. NY is a cesspool of humanity that would be hell to be a professional athlete in. I guess for enough money, and the possibility of eventually banging Madonna, one can sell out. I liked that CC apparently wanted to play at home, but the numbers got too big. As the sage Latrell Spreewell once said '... I gots a family to feed..", probably several in his case.

I will miss Derosa,but have usually agreed with what Hendry does when looked at thru the retrospectoscope. Wood may be harder to understand. Jim keeps talking like he has to be fiscally responsible, but I bet he won't be too strict in that interpretation.

Agreed this is fun watching all the rumors fly. Nice to have the rant back, and looking forward to it's continued growth.

Anonymous said...

did I say possibility... make that probability.

Anonymous said...

I don't think Derosa is too much to give for Peavy. We'll have to see what the whole deal is before bitching about what we give up.

Anonymous said...

Maybe Governor Blogovich from Illinois was really hoping for a spot on the Cubs roster vs the Senate seat.

Gotta love the Windy City. Arrogant F**k.

Prayers to Badmojo and family.

Anonymous said...

Marquis just wants to start, he doesn't care if his team wins or not, he just wants to start so he would probably welcome a deal to the Padres. Maybe they will take DPlee or Poopadome?