Friday, April 18, 2008

Getting creamed

Didn't play well yesterday. I didn't see the game, but read about it and the box score looks real bad for Fontenot. 0 for 5 and left 7 runners on base. Ouch. Blanco left 7, too. Not good. Fontenot always seems to start hot and fade. Not sure why. I think he tries too hard to hit for power. Ought to be looking for average and OBP, not the long ball.

Lilly. Yikes. Our rotation is in trouble if he doesn't snap out of it. Especially if Hill doesn't, either. Anybody seen that cream? Enough is enough. I long for the good old days when everyone was cheating.

I have given a great deal of thought (okay, four minutes on the plane yesterday) and Zambrano should absolutely bat eighth when he pitches. Let Pie bat 9th. Tell him it's "double secret leadoff" and maybe he won't notice.

How come Kyle Farnsworth can't throw 100 anymore? Anybody seen that cream?

Today's quiz. What kind of calf gets strained from a crow hop?

Answer: Anybody seen that cream?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

once again making my point that the Cubs seem to never be able to get good pitching out of lefthanders. Lilly's season last year was an anomaly. Hill looks like a scared deer. Scott Eyre? Carmen Pignitiello is back in Iowa. I'm not quite to the panic button, but its time to start thinking of what prospects and/or youngsters we can package for pitching. Neal Cotts seems to be throwing well at AAA, and Samardzija might actually be living up to the hype at AA, but that's about it for pitching in the entire organization. Everything else resembles la machino that you all see at camp, and 44 year old ooptometrists can hit him. What the heck ever happened to Pawalek? Nice pick there. He's slated to start a second year at Boise, in short season ball??? Not good. If your 1st round lefthander can't cut it enough in camp to make your regular A ball team, assume he won't be around much longer. He's the new Bobbie Brownlie apparently.

Anonymous said...

Yeah...thank goodness we didn't go out and get any more pitching in the offseason. Would have hated to give up Ronny Cedeno or Felix Pie in a Johan Santana or Erik Bedard deal. Even Kyle Lohse is looking pretty good for STL -- and all he cost was some cash. Oh, that's right. We're loaded with pitching.

69 fan said...

I reitterate. I hear that Soriano is going to the Astrohoes for Oswalt (Roy not Lee Harvey)

Has anybody here seen my old friend Lefty? I thought I saw him walking with Carlos and Ryan and John.

Anonymous said...

Soriano will never go to the Astros. They already have one guy who is really 41 (Tejada) and don't need another. I would take Roy Harvey in a heartbeat, however, if they want to trade him.

Anonymous said...

at this point, I'd take Roy Hobbs. I thinks he's 89...and is fictional.

Anonymous said...

If I could choose a fictional ballplayer, it would be Archibald "Doc" Graham