Monday, April 21, 2008

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice game

Now that's the kind of game I like. Zambrano pitched great. I would have left him in for another inning, personally, but it worked out just fine. Marmol and Wood did just fine...although Woody had no pressure on him thanks to some clutch hitting from Cedeno and Pie (did you ever think you'd read that?) after some bad at bats by DeRosa and Soto.

Side note: loved hearing the announcer say "Zambrano got into a fight with Marty Barrett." I went to school with Marty Barrett. Pretty sure that Big Z wasn't even born then. Marty retired in what, 1991?

Another announcer note: Orel Hershiser needs to get out of the booth and into a Cub uniform -- as pitching coach. The guy just gets it. He knows the game inside and out from both a pitching and hitting perspective. We need to start a petition or something. Maybe start an "I love Orel" website, although that might not get the intended participants.

You have to like this win. We finally play a good team and face a good pitcher -- and we do more than just hang with them. We outplay them. Great defense with 4 dp's if you count the strike him out/throw him out dp in the first. Aramis is starting to heat it up. Fukudome is a human foul ball machine. Nice game.

One more thing. Any of you remember last year this time? Game against the Mets when we blew a big lead -- and set the stage for them kicking our asses all year long. No lead was safe. This game has to be huge mentally for everyone on this team. A true confidence boost.

Good game. Wish they were all like that.

Time to watch Sportscenter and re-live that game.

Sherm

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

A-HA! I knew you did posted these before bedtime and faked the 4:51 post-times. You are really Rumplestiltskin in disguise. Sleep 'til noon I'd bet.

Z is going to have to pitch like this until Theodore and Hill get their collective shits together. Still waiting for comment on the WGN 60 year retrospectives. Loved the Ray Rayner portion. The guy was my hero. I still want the reversible Cubs/Sox hat. And an umbrella hat for rainy days.

Anyone out there looking to hire an out of work/nearly out of business mortgage dick? You'll need the increased sales to overcome the economic meltdown that our country has looming? It's bad news when the BANKS are broke. The numbers are getting scary. Note to local optometrists: I have enough know how to run an edger. The first $30 an hour gets me. I got kids on the way. Diapers and formula might put me on the street.

Anonymous said...

A-HA yer ass.

I have never faked a post time in my life. When I am on the east coast, however, I don't get up at 3:45 because, well, that would just be stupid.

Did not see the 60 year program, so cannot comment.

You any good at pool skimming?

Anonymous said...

Looks like the WGN 60 year retrospectives will run again in early May. I enjoyed both...set your TIVO. Not sure pool skimming would pay the 8 grand a month it takes for me to live the lifestyle to which I have become accustomed.

Anonymous said...

$7K w/o the single malt

Anonymous said...

WHAT!?!

No comments on Pie?

He finally stepped up for you.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, yeah...props to Pie for one hit, one time. I'll be more excited when it starts happening on a consistent basis. Maybe Sosa just happened to hit his bat.

I do, however, like the way that Ronny Cedeno has stepped up. He's getting much better at bats, taking a few pitches, and more importantly -- he's fouling off stuff that he used to miss. Keeping at bats alive...and then getting clutch hits like yesterdays. And his D has been good at two positions. Long term? You might see Theriot and Cedeno up the middle for us for quite some time.

Q: If Pie goes AWOL, is he a desserter?

69 fan said...

Hopefully the Cubs go on a world tour following this post seaso. When they land in Germany, their young centerfielder will be known ar Herr Pie.
I recorded both 60 year things, but have only watched the first. Nice retrospective, it meant more to me now that I know so many of the players as they age.
Did I understand badmojo to say that he has had to mortgage his dick??? Man that's some rough times.

Anonymous said...

I would gladly mortgage my dick, especially if I could find a 20 year old hot asian underwriter to "work on the file" Mrs. badmojo is currently 7+ months pregnant with twins, you see, so by mortgaging said dick, I would lose little in the way of activity.

Anonymous said...

speaking of dicks, you know Sherm's is rock hard right now knowing he got 9 comments today.

69 fan said...

Might as well make it 10 as with an 8 to 1 win, he's likely already half way thru tomorrow "mornings" blog.

Anonymous said...

Whether or not I am sporting the proverbial "chub" is my business. And the viewers on my webcam site.

Did I give props to Cedeno or not? Another good at bat. Most grand slams are.

Re: ten comments. It's all about quality, not quantity. That said, sometimes the quality is just as good when I get no comments.

Today's win is a very good sign. Another close game -- late -- and they break it open. More of the same! Way to go, Cubbies! On to the next!

Sherm

Anonymous said...

what an asshole. He get's no comments, and bitches, and threatens to take his blog and go home. He gets 12 comments, and he whines about quality. I might just take my comments over to smittys world. If he ever updates the damned thing.

It's almost 5PM on the west coast Sherm...shouldn't you be in bed by now anyway?

Anonymous said...

a.) it's 7:51PM here in Virginia Beach.

b.) you are right. I complain when I get no comments. If that makes me an asshole, so be it.

c.) Re: quality and quantity? I said sometimes.

d.) Commenting on Smitty's blog? Isn't there a "tree falling in the woods" analogy in there somewhere?

e.) oops -- gotta go. American Idol is coming on.

Anonymous said...

Im starting to update on a regular basis.....

Where has Sherm been?

No early AM's?

I know he hes been traveling!

Stay tuned to Smitty's blog and the Dr Seuss style of writing.

Pictures say more than a rant and rave.

We are in first place...and the storm in TX took down cable during the game....winning Weds in the 10th.

This year is becoming interesting.