Friday, April 25, 2008

The Riot

Let me say this first off. I like Ryan Theriot. I like the way he plays. But he's young and he has a lot to learn -- and as the starting shortstop on a team with hopes of winning it all...he needs to learn it all quickly. Speaking in generalities, he's doing well. Hits are falling. He still whiffs a little too much for me, but a lot of that has to do with pitch selection. When he learns to work the count into his favor, instead of always being 1 - 2, he'll be a more consistant hitter and "putter of the ball into play." But SS is a critical defensive position, and he needs to work hard to become more than merely "serviceable" in that position. I am not talking about yesterday's error specifically. I am talking about the way that the position is played. His anticipation needs to improve -- maybe that comes with learning his pitchers a little better. He needs to get rid of the ball quicker -- he still has a second baseman's arm. Don't get me wrong. I like the guy. This is all "constructive." If he wants to be David Eckstein, then he has to walk more and foul off more and shorten his swing. Here's a tip for him. Watch Reed Johnson bat. The deeper into the count he goes, the more he chokes up and gets closer to the plate.

We were outplayed yesterday anyway, so it wasn't like we gave the game away. You are going to lose games. Just don't give away wins. So far we are winning the games we should (exception being the first series to the Brewers.)

Pie has shortened up his swing this week and it is paying dividends. Let's hope that he can keep it that way. He did misplay that ball in the eighth yesterday, but overall his D has been superb, so no complaint.

Aramis Ramirez is starting to heat it up. He looks to me likes he's dropped a few pounds. I think he's going to have a big, big year. Watch. You heard it here first.

Fontenot (Sorry Mojo) needs to go back to AAA for some at bats. He's not comfortable at the plate. He's pressing again, just like he did last year after his fast start. Another little guy trying to jerk the ball out of the yard. Fine him for hitting the ball in the air. Hey, Lou, while you are shortening Pie's swing? Work with Fonty, too. He might just be a good player someday with some help.

Question. Why doesn't Fukudome bat second against righties? I'd like to see Johnson or Theriot lead off and Fuku in the 2 spot. Move Soto up to protect Ramirez -- he's hitting, and drop the other guy in the 7 or 8 spot. Patience in the two spot is important and a long at bat in that spot makes a pitcher more likely to groove DLee early.

Let's win today and win the series. Most important stat of all is series' won. Sweeps are great, don't get me wrong, but win 2 of 3 with regularity, and you walk away with the division.

Ah, well. That's my two cents. Take it for what it's worth.

Sherm

PS: rumor has it that Smitty has a rotator cuff injury (from patting himself on the back over the Podsednik thing)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice post...nice to see you back waking up at 4AM. Theriot is 28 years old, and in his eighth year of professional ball. He's probably about as good as he's going to ever be defensively.

Aramis' weight loss is probably due to the same prescription regimen so many other big leaguers were on coming to an abrupt halt. 40 home runs wins the crown this season...we are back to 1985.

Very nice observation on Reed Johnson. The guy could, and maybe should, be batting leadoff, even withthe lack of speed. It is all about on base percentage with leadoff hitters, and over a full season, he could be in the .390 range. A fantastic pick up.

Leave Fontenot alone. He's teeny and can't defend himself. Bully.

and now for a Smitty backpat moment: Check today's LATimes.com sports section for an article about a high school kid at Malibu that I have been coaching for 5 years. Unbelievable kid. I take none of the credit for what he's done. Everything Podsednik does is because of Smitty...we know that.

69 fan said...

I'm curious about the rant
the act of writing with a slant.
How do you do this thing I can't
your seed at 3 am you plant.

Do you write it there at Home?
Can you write it on the phone?
Is ti part of greater tome?
or does it stan, itself alone.

Tell me of your daily blog,
do you write it in a fog?
Mired in a sticky bog,
hand upon your graying log?

What does it say of us who need
to comment on your humble read.
the comradarie that we need
from boredom our lives be freed.

I bleed Cubbie- blue, thats who I am.
From Kerrys K's to A-ram's slam.
And I will read Sherm's daily Sham.
But I do not like green eggs and Ham.

-with apologies to Sam-I-am.

Anonymous said...

Sherm-
Why do you say "Don't get me wrong"
so much in today's post?

But-Don't get me wrong~!?

As far as Podsednik...I saw, heard and I reported to the Bash Brothers.
Out of the box thinking instead of beating on Theriot or Pie daily.

Pod did all the work...and worked hard at it. I saw the passion he had to win again. The Sox and other major league teams wrote him off.
Saying that he was injury prone.

He told the Sox trainers about his groin challenge before it turned into a serious Murnyak strain. The Sox trainers failed.

My boys at the Dynamic Barbell Club turned it around.

Read for yourself.
http://www.dynamicbarbell.com/testimonials

Pod is a class act and great guy to boot.

I wish you the same success in your businesses during trying times just as I have Pod.

And I'm a big fan of the underdog...Isn't that why we are Cubs fans!?

Anonymous said...

there once was a Doctor named Ravage.

Wrote poetry just like a savage

Even Dr. Suess,

Said "What the duece?"

and he's been dead like twenty years, I think.

Anonymous said...

re: Smitty and Pods -- get a room already

but don't get me wrong, there isn't anything wrong with that