Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Cubs fall to Brewers

Note to the Cubs. You actually have to get the Brewers out every once and a while to beat them. They are not THAT good, but we make them seem that way. Every pitcher we put out there seemed to pitch with fear of that lineup. What did they have? 45 hits? 32 for extra bases? Come on. We score seven runs off Ben Sheets -- we should win the game.

We've lost 4 of 5. So what's the problem? No Soriano? I don't think that's it, but maybe it will help to have him back. No number two starter behind Zambrano? Aha. That again? Maybe that has something to do with it, but you can't blame that one for losing four of five. Offense on Xanax? Sometimes. I still hate our "at the plate" strategy (assuming that we actually have one, that is.) This is a hacking team, and while that can be fun...over the long haul it doesn't win you championships. As a team, we need to have a plan, i.e. making pitchers work. You can be a free swinging, hack happy team if you have three starting pitchers that can usually be counted on to shut the other guys down...or at least "hold" the other team down. We don't. We have one. So we have to "win" games by playing smart baseball. I don't know that we can.

I hope we can. I want to believe. I also want someone to introduce the pork rib diet, but I don't get to have everything I want. I know it is a long season and every team will have slumps. We didn't need to have one this early. I think this team lacks killer instinct. We don't take a slight lead and regularly blow it open. We have a couple games up on the division and what happens? We slide back to the pack. Come on, Lou...it's on you to get these guys to pour it on.

JS

2 comments:

69 fan said...

A pitcher named Roger was greedy,
for the limelight he seemed almost needy.
On steriods he raged,
as his fast balls engaged,
With a minor named Mindy McCready.

Anonymous said...

ahhhh....poetry.