Monday, April 28, 2008

the weekend

From a purely baseball point of view, I have nothing to say about this weekend or the series with the Nationals. When you lose 2 of 3 to one of the worst teams in baseball, there is little to add. When you get shut out by them? Less to add.

So what could I possibly have to say about this weekend, you wonder with gaping jaw? Well, it isn't Cub baseball, that's for sure. I didn't watch any of the games, so I probably spared myself my grief. So no Cub rant. What to do?

I did spend the weekend up in the valley at a Blues festival. (one of two we'll be enjoying this summer) It was superb. So Blues fans...and I don't mean Cubbie blue this time -- let me give you my review of THAT.

1. First up was Barry "Big B" Brenner -- a very nice acoustic blues guitar set. Had that Nawlin's sound...slow and easy. Very pleasant. Great way to warm up for what was to come.

2. The Lori Morvan Band. She was alright. Sang a song called "Why don't more girls play guitar?" and the simple answer is because all the dudes played better, Lori. She wasn't bad, though, and the women there seemed to enjoy her "it's a man's world" angle on the world. I wouldn't buy her music, though, or recommend it.

3. Michael John and the Bottomline. Probably the best blues band that you've never heard. Outstanding. He's won awards for outstanding vocals. The band is super, including lead guitar player Mikey Mo -- who is young and raw, but extremely talented. He's also Michael John's son and they work real well together. I could, and do, listen to them with regularity. Recommend their cds? Oh, yeah. Find them and buy them...none will disappoint. Mostly original stuff (more than 90%, I'd say) but to hear him cover John Hiatt's "Feels like rain" is worth whatever you pay to see them. It's on their "Good thing" cd. Find it. Buy it.

4. BB Chungking and the Buddhaheads. One of the best guitar players you'll ever want to hear. BB is tremendously polished, and it shows. They are a wow experience -- a lot of sound for a 3 pc band. It's just BB, a bass and the drummer, and they put it out, trust me. Did a new song called "At 10 she's a 2, but at 2 she'll be a 10" and it rocked the house. Okay, it rocked the park, whatever...do you have to be so specific?

5. Jimmy Z and the Ztribe. Another Nawlins style blues band. He was real good -- I'd say as good as I've heard on the harmonica. Good sax player, too. Lots of energy. Currently touring with Etta James...Very entertaining. Not the kind of music I'd buy to listen to in the car. But fun, nonetheless and a good "tweener" between BB Chungking and the headliner.

6. Robben Ford. One of my alltime favorites. The guy is a guitar magician. He's an absolute technician and it shows. 9o minutes of Ford went by in seemingly no time...he's like the pied piper -- you'd follow him anywhere. Not that you are a rat. Nevermind that analogy. He did a couple of instrumentals dedicated to the Kings (BB and Freddy) called "Indianola" and "Texas Cannonball," respectively, that were hot. Finished with "Supernatural" which is my favorite of all his tunes, officially making my day.

And there you have it. No one probably read this far. So whatever. I had a great time.

If you like this kind of stuff -- consider the Doheny Blues Festival this year (May 18 and 19?) so that you can see Jonny Lang, Coco Montoya, Bonnie Raitt, Joe Bonamassa and more...plus if you call ahead -- you can come by the house for a shot or two before or after since I live three minutes from Dana Point.

Sherm

5 comments:

69 fan said...

Que?

In between calls, I spent the weekend putting a solar heater on the roof of the pool building. I figured if we are not talking base ball, I might as well throw in a random thought.
Sorry about not rhyming.

Anonymous said...

you have a pool building? why?

Anonymous said...

I'm not enough into the blues music to have gotten all the way through todays rant. I'll be looking forward to tomorrows rant, which is sure to include snippets on Soriano's guarantee of a Thursday return, his .175 batting average, and Roger Clemens' alleged statutory rape of a member of the country/western band The Shit Howdies. Hasta manana.

69 fan said...

Because I can.

I was a competitive swimmer in high school and college, so water is my prefered form of exercise. Abuilding allows nearly year round use.
Is there a way to use a spellchecker on these blog/comments. F7 on an email makes one seem more educated somehow.

Anonymous said...

I too, swam competitively. Held the 100 yd fly record for a season in my state. (Ohio, and yes, it was so long ago that it was yards, not meters.)

Now I live in California where we don't have to put our pools in buildings.

Spelling. A poem.

A group of baseball loving guys;

wrote emails and blogs and some lies;

nothing compelling --

terrible spelling --

Spellchecker? I just use my eyes!


Thank you. Thank you very much.