Saturday, May 24, 2008

7 hits, 6 rbis

from the 8 and 9 spot. Nice.

Reed Johnson chokes up on the bat. That is what I like about him most. His willingness to just put the ball in play and see what happens. How did we ever get this guy for so little? Lock him up. I'd like to see him in CF for another year or two -- barring the acquisition of a monster outfielder. Or the evolution of Pumpkin Pie. Or the resurgence of the Doxie Diddler.

I am so glad that we didn't give up the farm for Brian Roberts. He's hitting about .260 and not stealing much. Let's hope we still don't try to pull that one off.

I wouldn't mind seeing another starting pitcher added, if the right one can be had. Rumor is that the Padres will soon be firesaling -- could we get Peavy or Young? How about Halladay? He'd look good in a Cub uniform, wouldn't he? The Mets are fading...think they'd sell Pedro for the stretch run? Think he's got anything left in his tank?

If Houston and St. Louis are for real, we just may be in the toughest division in the NL. How's that for irony, after hearing all offseason how the central was the weakest?

Erik Bedard is awful so far. Another good "non-move" for us. The more I see this team, and the better their chemistry develops -- the more I like our chances. We will keep getting better, too, as the season rolls on. The bullpen is starting to look like what we thought it would. We're hitting. I like R. Cedeno this year and I would get him more at bats. I like his approach this year. Thank goodness we kept him, too -- he was almost a throw in a few times. I think Fontenot is trade bait -- he's not getting it done. He needs at bats, and he won't get them here. He is not a good pinch hitter. Too bad, because I like the kid, but we should send him off for something we can use. Same with Murton.

That is all.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wasn't it you that was clamoring, in fact whining for the Cubs to make that deal for Bedard and Roberts about 4 months ago? I believe it was. Leave Fontenot alone. He is a gamer...I agree they need to move Murton or Pie to get some pitching down the stretch, due to having an overabundance of outfielders at AAA or above. I am not ready to throw away Fontenot until Cedeno proves he can be good for more than a month. We need good outings from Marquis du Suck and Theodore tonight and tomorrow. Oh, and Edmonds needs to stay in the dugout lest he gank up another game for the Cubs.

Anonymous said...

And Now the SUN gets us a loss. Damned billy goat.

Anonymous said...

I refuse to blame the sun for a ball that Soriano should have caught.

Brenley -- in what may have been his last day -- nailed it. You could throw a dart in the dugout and find a better left fielder.

More on this later. JS

69 fan said...

Brant fucking Brown.

Anonymous said...

Brant Brown was different. He never played on a team that had a REAL chance at the series.

Anonymous said...

PS. Props to Brenly for having the sack to call out Hendry for the jackass that he is. If Joe Cub fan had access to the JACK he has had to spend over the past few years he could have done as well if not better. The guy is a fraud.

Anonymous said...

I don't entirely agree with the Hendry argument. ARam was a terrific pickup. As good as it gets for what we gave up. What did we give up? Bobby Hill? Isn't that Hank and Peggy Hill's son?

DLee was a good acquisition. He signed Big Z long term. Right move.

I like the Fukudome signing.

We should have signed Torii Hunter for centerfield and let Murton find himself in left. We should have added one more quality starter.

All in all, I don't think Hendry has been as bad as DB thinks. I reserve the right to adjust that comment at season end.

js