Thursday, July 17, 2008

Bring on the second half

I'm ready. For a big second half. We need to come out with some wins right out of the gate at Houston...

I'm really not sure who should be our number 5. Marquis has been lights out lately, and probably deserves to stay there. Marshall has been great, too, but can work out of the pen, too, and probably should. I don't see any reason to trade a pitcher...or for a pitcher...at this point.

The position players seem set to me, too. Who would you replace? I can't see making any big moves. Maybe some small moves for bench strength?

The key to the second half...and our entire season really rests on the shoulders of two men. Carlos Marmol and Kerry Wood. If these two can pitch well...and not blow games...we have a legit chance to go real far, if not all the way. I think Howry is back from some early season problems, and I like the way he pitches. We could add a lefty to the pen (Fuentes?) but I don't think it's necessary if Marshall can do it. Plus Marshall can and will spot start...

Rumor is that Jeff Samarjhsh, er, Samjarz, er Samarjida, er -- the guy from Notre Dame...is pitching real well at AAA and could be an impactful September call up. That'd be interesting.

If anyone is missing? Anywhere? Tony Gwynn ate them.

Is Tim McCarver still talking?

Sherm

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tony Gwynn ate Cecil Fielder. I'd like to see the Cubs add a lefty to the pen. A young, live arm. Eyre and Cotts do nothing for me. They are both shitty. Not that I miss Will Ohman. As in Oh Man another curveball in the dirt. Other than that, this is the team I'd want. I wouldn't mind Sabathia smashing his hand in a cab door, or LaRussa having an a heart attack...but I'll take a trip to the series. A series win would be even better.

69 fan said...

Here is a random thought.

A six man rotation.

Z looked great after some time off, R Harden needs his rest. Currently we have 6 guys I can feel good about starting, so let them all start. I feel most ,if not all, of them really are putting team first, so they might go along.
Try it, you'll like it.

I have been watching a few brewers games lately, and Cecil really is enormous. We should hit him in the ass every time, and don't hold him on first. Encourage him to steal, when he collapses on his way to second, have Soto walk out and tag him on the ass, he won't have to walk past the mound to do so.

Anonymous said...

Never happen -- these guys get paid based on wins and starts...

Baseball is still a me first game. Ask any agent.