Sunday, July 6, 2008

Yesterday

Yesterday. Title of Beatles song.

Yesterday. Nice day, for the most part. Spent some time in the sun. Did some afternoon imbibing and relaxing. Yep. Pretty decent day.

Nothing else really to talk about with regard to yesterday. Can't really think of anything that I would like to add to what I have already mentioned. Can't come up with a thing.

Except this.

You cannot fucking walk the first two batters you face and hope to be a closer for a championship team. You cannot cannot cannot cannot fucking do that. You have to throw strikes. That is the fucking key to being a closer, you numb nuts moron. I didn't watch the game, because I don't have one of those new fangled "get every game" kind of TV machines, but I am glad I didn't because I would have been slightly agitated by the happenings of the bottom of the ninth.

I'm sorry, Cub fans. This is not a championship team. I'd love to facilitate your (and my own) optimistic unreality that this team can be THE team to lead us to a World Series championship, but I am sorry to tell you that I have awaked and realized that this team cannot even get to the world series. Not as it sits. No way. Nope. Nyet. Nein. Nada. Will not happen. We keep playing like we have the last two weeks and we will end up third in our division.

But other than that, yesterday was lovely. Nice day. About 80 degrees, which is perfect. The pool water hit 83 thanks to the direct sunlight of the last few days. Played with the new puppy. Worked on the novel -- actually added a chapter, which is a lot for one day. And that was that. Today is another day. There is now a ton of pressure on Sean Marshall...and the Cardinals have to be sky high coming in. It will be tough for him to keep them from scoring a lot of runs early today. I hope that he can.

Welcome back, Aramis. Clutch homer. Too bad it counts for nothing. Should have been a game winner. Good thing I am not bitter about yesterday's loss, huh?

Happy Sunday, everyone.

Sherm (not at all upset about losing yesterday, as you can tell.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you said it all about Wood. I have always been woried about his lack of control. He really wasn't great Friday night, but the dish ump bailed him out on back to back pitches to Glaus.

As I often say to my HS pitchers....the only thing worse than walking the leadoff hitter is walking the next guy, too. Wood and Marmol have to get it together.