Friday, July 4, 2008

The season really starts tonight

If we are going to win this thing, and I think that we can -- we need to beat the Cards in St. Louis. Starting tonight. It's been a shit week or two, going 3 and 7, and thanks to the Mets and DBacks...we are still in first place. No complaints with being in first at this time of year...but we are the team to beat and we need to start pulling away.

I know that Doc R is a big fan of "slack", but Soto needs to hit six or seven. No higher than that until he shows greater plate discipline. Fukudome did better in the five spot than he has at the top of the order...at least against righties. Against certain lefties, big contract or not, I'd let him watch. Is it just me or does it seem that everytime that Fontenot starts to heat it up with the bat, he gets rewarded with extended time on the bench? How will he ever stay hot if he doesn't get the at bats? He'll play two or three games, and by the end of that, he's raking...and then he sits. I don't get that at all.

We'd be eight games up if we'd have gotten Barry Bonds back when I first suggested it. Maybe more. Me for GM.

Not a good time for Marmol to go completely insane. What's with him? Mental? Can he play centerfield? Can he hit?

Say what you will about Edmond's age or foot speed -- the guy has been a huge pickup and is a big reason that we are still in first and not looking up at the Cardinals.

Think that Zambrano is on a pitch count? I do. He'll come out after six with a shutout. Think the pen can hold it? We'll see. I'd bat him eighth just to do it.

I'll be back in Chicago next week -- might try to take in a Cubs - Reds game. Look for me, I will be the guy in a Cub shirt.

More later, I'm sure, as I am home all weekend. Happy Fourth of July to all. Have a safe holiday. God Bless America!

Sherm

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not saying that Edmonds hasn't helped us here...as a matter of fact, I'll admit he has, for now...but lets move his slow ass to right field and let Fuko play center...at least Fuko can kinda cover the ground, and bloops and balls won't be falling in everywhere, and Sherm won't be drooling all over himself every time a nice catch is made that should have been easy.

My wife is a saint...for my birthday I am going to Cubs Cards at Wrigley August 8-10th. She gave me the plane ticket this week. Its coach but who cares. My buddy Kurt has 2nd row seats behind the Cub dugout. I should be able to easily give Murnyak the bird from there. I hope it doesn't cause a strain. Cubs Cards and no poopy diapers for a whole weekend. You'll be able to spot me at Butch McGuire's between games. Pretty much the whole time.

Anonymous said...

How many diapers have you changed?

How's your sense of smell?

Have you had projectiles hit you during the changing process?

Anonymous said...

1. 4,286
2. really good
3. yes. That's when they tend to like going.


34 days until my Chitown trip.

and counting