Sunday, July 27, 2008

Have you seen enough?

Anyone? Anyone?

Our biggest problem? We get shut down by nobody pitchers far too often. Sure, the good ones are supposed to hold you in check, but you've got to beat up on the second tier pitchers out there and we don't do it -- at least enough.

Harden is the best 5 or 6 inning pitcher I've ever seen. If he'd have gone to a team with a bullpen and that could score some runs? Wow...guy could be a twenty five game winner. Of course, he didn't, and now he's 0 -1 with two no decisions in the NL. With an era of next to nothing and 30K's in three games.

Umm, note to Larry Rothschild. Hermida can hit. Pitch around him since no one else in that lineup can.

Note to Billy Beane. Matt Murton is now hitting .110 in the AL. Yikes. I feel bad for Matt.

Dodgers improved themselves slightly with the acquisition of Casey Blake. Got someone they needed to fill a gap.

Cubs announced that they will not make any more deals before the trading deadline. Good thing to announce. Even if it's true, why say that? To let the Brewers know that they can back off?

We've lost 7 of ten and looked pretty shabby doing it. I know all you Koolaid Kids think we're just fine and it's just a little slump -- nothing to worry about. But I worry about it. That early season energy we had? Seems sapped, to me.

Hey, was that Fukudome in the 8 spot yesterday? Didn't I suggest that? Do you think Lou is reading the blog? And it worked. Damn. Some instant credibility for the blog.

Doc Raker went off on Howry citing stats, but Howry's numbers are heavily tainted by his April and May -- which did blow. He's been much better than that...until this last week or so, which I still blame on overuse and misuse of the bullpen.

Food for thought. If Zambrano, Harden, Lilly and Marquis continue to pitch well -- and if Marshall is an adequate option for the five starter, why not put Dempster back in the closer role to finish the season? Hmm? Let Carrie Wood work as a set up guy, if he can come back at all from that debilitating blister owee. Think about it before you answer. Plus, if a guy can go 11-4 as a starter and then get maybe 20+ saves....Cy Young?

More later, perhaps, after today's game. Or not. Depends.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Calm down, you're going to give yourself a grabber. Yes, the energy is low...I am hoping they are saving it for the stretch run. The lineup is bad, but we have 12 solid hitters to pick from...and Samardzija looks impressive. Find the good. Breathe. Relax. Listen to the soothing sound of screaming babies.

Anonymous said...

I am not panicking whatsoever. I'm just very realistic, and I don't like what I'm seeing.

This team has a lot of good -- but is it good enough to win it all? THAT'S the question.

We need to beat CD today.

69 fan said...

Not Panicking?

Though I believe you to be an intelligent, thoughtful blogger, The thought of taking a starter with a dozen wins and putting him back in the bullpen is borderline retarded. Take a Valium and blog me in the morning. We do have 6 quality starters, but I liked the idea of Harden for the first half and Marshall for the second. Even a sherms worth of offense wins both of the games Fri and Sat.

I was thinking we should have started pitching Hermida at the head around Friday, certainly by late Saturday.

Would somebody hit Ryan Braun in the hand soon...please.

Big time Kudos to Badmojo for spelling Smarja's name correctly. I will wait a few more appearances before learning how to spell it. I did see the golden domers first professional start with low A Boise a couple of years ago. The only pro Ball in my town is in the same league and I had to travel all of 8 miles to see him pitch. He looked much different than all the other pitchers that day, but was a pitch or 2 short of the Majors. I think he's better now.