Thursday, July 10, 2008

Slowly pull away

I wish that Zambrano hadn't given up that homer to Adam Dunn -- if nothing else, it might have spared us the ninth that was. Should have brought in Gaudin instead of Marmol. He was warming up, for one, and it was a perfect night for an appearance...the Wrigley faithful would have given him a lot of love. Plus, who needed to see the tying run come to the plate. I was listening to Ron and Pat, and I thought Santo was going to have a heart attack. In fact, he said "I don't need this. I can't take this. This one was going so well."

Again with the walks. Marmol gets two quick outs. One infield hit. Two walks an voila...Wood is forced into the game. Bad for the heart, yes. Also bad for the closer. Every game that Wood has to warm up is the same as a game that he goes in -- for his arm.

Somebody asked Gaudin what he remembered working for Lou in Tampa -- and his answer was "he doesn't like walks. He'd get real pissed if you walked people." Hopefully, the kid gets it.

Zambrano was lights out yesterday -- more important than just giving up one hit? No walks. Great game, Z. Lilly can win today and we have three guys with ten wins before the break. Not too shabby.

Thanks, Colorado, for beating Ben Sheets. Sweet.

Thanks, Philly, for beating the Cards. Sweet.

Slowly pull away. That's my strategy. And no...it's not a shower thing.

Have a great day, all...

Okay with the time today, Doc?

js

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

There's WAAAAAAYYY too much shower talk in all your blogs.

Cubs Camp 2007 has changed you

Smitty;s blog may have pictures.
At least he stays away from the homo shower tendencies.

I guess that's what happens when your on the road so much.

69 fan said...

Glad to see you got a full nights sleep.

Directv was fucked up at least on my satellite and I watched Jeff Brantley and some dude do the Cincinnati broadcast. Much to Doc Rakers chagrin they did not trash talk Dusty. I was also flipping to the cards and Brewers games and everything came together nicely over about an hour or so.

I've been working out in my pool room a lot lately and currently don't have a TV there, so I get the WGN radio broadcasts off of the Internet. Hard to tell who Santo is rooting for. He keeps his emotions under his hat well. It would be at least 2 minutes between "Oh No!"'s.
Marmol is still not quite right, but not the train wreck he was a couple of weeks ago. I heard some douche on ESPN radio this AM (real AM , not your version) talking about how the red sox give most of their rotation a few weeks on the DL mid season, to keep their arms ready for Fall. Not a bad idea.

Soap on a rope, in the shape of a pope. (search your memory banks).

69 fan said...

Oh yeah, I forgot Mulder....sincker,wheeze, guffaw.

Anonymous said...

Great point on Ron and Pat. I listeded to the game on WGN that night, too, and enjoyed them. Pat puts up with a lot, and is tremendous at allowing Ron to be Ron without it making the broadcast into a mess.