Friday, June 13, 2008

Nothing to dread, but dread itself

Perhaps that's not the expression. Whatever. Check yesterdays comments and you'll get it. Or not.

Let's talk about those Cubs. Let's talk about our minimum wage platoon. MWP. That's what I'm calling that two headed, game winning centerfielder -- Reedmond Jimson, Lassie, whatever...
he, they, won the game for us yesterday. I was slightly disappointed that Edmonds didn't get the at bat in the 11th so that HE COULD DRIVE IN ALL OF OUR RUNS, but hey, I'm a team first guy, so it's okay. Clutch homer there in the bottom of the ninth, no? Rumor is that Edmonds was heard humming a Toby Keith song after the game...I think it's called "How do you like me now?"

Best part of this? I'm on the rental car bus yesterday and three guys with St. L caps on are following the scores on their phones, and are PISSED that Edmonds has tied the game for us. That was sweet.

I agree with Lou's decision to let Zambrano bat in the 7th. I bet you didn't see expect me to say that! I wish he had gone out and told the big guy "Hey, don't be overanxious. Be patient, get a good pitch and hit it hard." because Carlos was so excited at the opportunity that he jumped at a terrible pitch and popped it up. But it meant a lot to him. You could see that. Plus he's hitting over .350, so what the hell? And it showed faith in the rest of the team...that a one run lead late doesn't worry Lou. And THEY responded when Big Z didn't. Awesome. Huge double for Dlee...he's been slumping and that was clutch. Aramis Ramirez is maturing as a hitter -- he is started to remind me of his cousin, Manny. Great eye. Patient and powerful. Need a power hitter behind him. I'd flip him and DLee...because Aramis will take a walk and that will get Lee more fastballs.

Great job by the bullpen yesterday. Thanks to Ryan Dempster for that. They were all fresh. Did I mention Jim Edmonds yet?

Anyone else realized how right I am about Barry Bonds? Nice to see Papa Buss is on board. Doc, if we can embrace Jim Edmonds, we can learn to love Barry. Another pickup for the league minimum. I'm telling you -- it's a GREAT move. Why won't anyone listen to me? Feel free to email this to Jim Hendry.

Tough roadie coming up. Toronto is good and so is Tampa this year. Plenty of good pitching in our way -- it will be interesting to see how we do. Look for MWP to shine.

Go Cubs!

JS

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Who is Toby Kieth? Is he in that bang "The Shit Howdies"?

I knew the pooch fornicator kool-aid would be being advertised this AM...and whilst I still can't stand the sight of him, or the thought of him taking a 23 year old recent Michigan grad back to his hotel last night (probably the Days Inn on Diversey is all he can afford)I am forced to root for him, especially with Soriano out. I did agree with you on Bonds but want to reiterate, the leash must be short (thats what Edmonds says anyway...baha). Bonds can not be given more than one chance to Barrett up the clubhouse...but you are right....I am sure he can still hit...he will have at least a .450 OBP, and is it possible to be a worse overall leftfielder than Alf? At least BB would catch pop flies with one foot on the ground. Off to the hospital to feed Courtney. Kendal and Mom doing great...for those that give a shit.

Anonymous said...

shits are definitely given

Anonymous said...

its Kendall....hard to type on 13 mins. of sleep.

Anonymous said...

I don't think so

69 fan said...

Shits are given and taken.
Yes I would of course root for Barry, but prefer not to be put in that position(also something Edmonds said).
I didn't realize the furry friend fucking fielder story was anything but anger until I googled it yesterday, Farm boy at heart I guess, but one who is hitting. In 1998 I knew Sammy was Juicing, but he was our boy on 'roids, so you get past it. A number of athletes had issues. Hell an education is unusual in this sport which can lead to a lot of things that are nonsensical being the norm (see Kyle Farnsworth). As long as the Michigan grad is bipedal, I'm OK with it.
When I saw Z coming to bat in the 7th, I said to my self, who's hitting better. No one came to mind. I would have hit him even if I was not going to let him start the 8th.
Sherm, I suppose your right that Barry might be easier to love than Edmonds, but Barrys baggage is much bigger. Though almost certainly his nut sack is smaller.
Think Chemistry.
Besides there is no way Barry would play for minimum wage, too proud, and way too much of Peter McGowan's money already. combine that with the likelihood that his room and board will be taken care of for the next few years, and I don't see Barry biting. But the lure of a ring might have some sway.

Can't wait to see what the MWP (any thing like MILF?) brings to the park today.

Anonymous said...

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3437067